25 Anderston Quay, Glasgow, UK
Bio: The known history of Renfrew Ferries dates back to the 17th century. This vessel was the last major passenger/vehicle transporter to ply its trade between Yoker and Renfrew, carrying thousands of passengers daily across the River Clyde. Commissioned in 1952 the ferry operated as a carrier for 32 years until the run down of industry and the building of new routes e.g. The Clyde Tunnel and the M8 Kingston Bridge. In 1989 The Ferry found a new home at Windmillcroft Quay in Glasgow city centre. Still on the banks of The River Clyde but now permanently moored and enhanced with the construction of a glass and steel atrium, it was soon to make it's mark as a multi purpose entertainment venue. Much of the vessel remained unchanged, therefore retaining an historical reminder of the past. The alterations had created kitchens, toilets and bars and the upper passenger decks were joined at either end forming a mezzanine floor with an all round over view of the lower deck. By day the glass construction would filter natural light creating a fresh outdoor feel yet protected from the elements. By night the combination of subtle lighting and spectacular views of The Clyde created a magical atmosphere. From 1989 to 2004 The Ferry played host to a wide variety of events. It's dual level construction provided the perfect intimacy for large or small groups. In 2005 The Ferry, now established as a major leisure venue, has undergone a complete refurbishment and has moved closer to the city centre at it's new berth on Anderston Quay. With the assistance of Glasgow City Council, as part off their river regeneration programme, The Ferry has new bars, toilets, a Top Deck restaurant and a superb sun deck. With it's ' All New ' facilities, The Ferry is ideally placed to meet the challenge of the 21st century.