Having toured throughout nine countries with such established artists as The Beatnuts, Masta Ace, Evil Ebenezer, and including his own headlining tours in British Columbia, the Netherlands, and Belgium, ILL TONE has crafted a very energetic and highly interactive live set. With a blend of consciously motivated, comedic, self reflective, and honest lyrics, he has tailored his live set to appeal to a wide audience. In addition to performing live with his DJ, he occasionally performed with a live band (electric guitarist, bassist). He is based in Vancouver.
On February 26, 2013, ILL TONE finally released his debut album, “Bringin' the Hope Back”. The album was released on URBNET Records and features some of Canada's best vocalists, including Juno nominees Jasmin Parkin of 'Mother Mother', and Kyprios (formerly of 'Sweatshop Union'). Also featured on the album is Skryptcha from Australia's 'Obese Records'. Within a few weeks of being released, the album pulled within the top five hip hop releases in Canada on !earshot (Canada's national Alternative Radio charts). This was ILL TONE's second release in as many months to chart within the top five. His mixtape, “Superficial, Wack, and Grandiose (S.W.A.G.)”, had also reached a top five position in January, after having been released in December, 2012. In addition to the positive response the album received from radio, “Bringin' the Hope Back” also gained praise and coverage from media outlets across Canada. Later, in February of 2014, he released another mixtape titled “The Sacrifice” which hit number six on the same charts.
“Bringing the Hope Back is much more than an album that you put your hands up and move side to side to; it’s a therapeutic experience. The thought provoking material leaves you in a humble state of reflection. Ill Tone’s decision to pour out the gloomy details of his journey allows his audience to connect with him on a personal level, which is a quality that makes a true artist.”
- Shaheena Azmatullah (Contributor - Hip Hop Canada)
http://www.hiphopcanada.com/2013/03/ill-tone-bringing-the-hope-back-album-review/ (FULL REVIEW)
Notable Events / Tours -
- “Last Kick at the Can Tour” – Netherlands & Belgium
- Attikus' “The Madness Tour” – Ontario, Canada
- Evil Ebenezer's “Best Summer Ever Tour” – Canada
(June / July, 2014)
- The Beatnuts' “No Escapin' This Tour” – Europe
(Feb. / March, 2014)
- Kool Keith's “Spit Fire Tour” – Western Canada
(Jan. / Feb., 2014)
- The Groove Music Festival – Midway, British Columbia, Canada
- “Bringin' the Hope Back” Release Tour – British Columbia, Canada
- Masta Ace's “Son of Yvonne” Canadian Release Tour – Western Canada
- Diversity Festival w/ Broken Logic – Texada Island, British Columbia, Canada
- SERF Festival w/ Broken Logic – Squamish, British Columbia, Canada
- Opened for: Rakim , Talib Kweli , Tech N9ne & Krizz Kaliko , Xzibit , Pete Rock & CL Smooth , Digable Planets , Maestro Fresh Wes , Masta Ace / Wordsworth / Stricklin , Kool Keith , Onyx , The Beatnuts , Tha Alkaholiks , Jeru the Damaja , Casual (of 'Hieroglyphics') , Swollen Members , Snak the Ripper , Evil Ebenezer , SDK , Latyrx , The Steadies (members of 'Mobadass' and 'Wide Mouth Mason') , The Boom Booms , Tipper , Sweatshop Union , Kyprios , Moka Only , Red 1 (of 'Rascalz') , PAC DIV , Sir Michael Rocks , Lord Lhus , bassist Rick May (Michael Jackson, Depeche Mode, Taj Mahal) , & Chin Injeti... among many others.
(2008 – present)
- “Up In My Head” - EP (November, 2014)
- “The Sacrifice” - Mixtape (February, 2014)
- “Bringin' the Hope Back” - ALBUM (February, 2013)
- “Superficial, Wack, and Grandiose” / “S.W.A.G.” - Mixtape (December, 2012)
- “Hope? EP” (August, 2012)
- “Dirty Old Mixtape” (May, 2012)
- “America Did It!” - EP (December, 2011)
- “Songs About Nothing” - Mixtape (August, 2011)
- “Man vs. Clown EP” (January, 2010)
Music Videos -
- “Clubs N Drugs” – from the EP “Up In My Head”
- “Can't See the Light” ft. Devon Quelch – from the album “Bringin' the Hope Back”
- “If Only For A Second” ft. Kyprios – from the album “Bringin' the Hope Back”
- “Bringin' the Hope Back” – from the album “Bringin' the Hope Back”
“Dirty Old Mixtape is an amusing backpack hip-hop head-nodder.”
– Michael Mann (Contributor - The Georgia Straight)
http://www.straight.com/music/ill-tone-avoids-joke-rap-territory-dirty-old-mixtape (FULL REVIEW)
In addition to writing and performing, Ill Tone makes beats, produces, and engineers his own music as well as the music of others. After attending school at Pacific Audio Visual Institute in Vancouver, he obtained his certificate in Audio Engineering & Production in 2011.
Many of the shows throughout his history have been fundraisers for community oriented organizations such as BC Children's Hospital, BC SPCA, Downtown Eastside Women's Center, F--- Cancer, Comox Valley Youth Connections, Dawn to Dawn Society, the Food Bank, and Comox Valley Coal Watch… among others. Ill Tone believes that giving back to one's community and communities less fortunate is important when in a position to do so.
"Ill Tone is intent on making his mark on the music industry and his community, and he’s actively achieving this goal: recording, performing, fundraising and talking politics. He loves what he does and is building momentum by the minute."
- Amalia Judith (Editor - Hip Hop Canada)