Irena Hart is a Ukrainian born acoustic guitarist, singer/songwriter, poet, activist. At the age of 12 her family moved to the United States where she was introduced to the music scene through her school choir where she lip-synched her words. She didn’t think she was able to sing even though she came from a musical family where her Grandfather played the piano and her mother went to a prestigious music school and was an accomplished violinist and singer.
On a dare from a close friend, Irena auditioned and was accepted into Julliard Vocal program, evening division. After only 3 semesters she dropped out, however, opting for Fairfield County open mic circuit instead. During that time she shared the stage regularly with then unknown John Meyer. This was followed by serious vocal coaching in New York City from the legendary Craig Derry, who had worked with the likes of Alicia Keys, Mary J. Blige, Marc Anthony and other prominent performers.
Irena was now primed to begin her musical recordings and recorded and released “Heartstrings”, her first pop/dance album in 2009. The album did well enough to allow Irena to go on a National Tour in 2010.
Irena is working on a new body of work - new album to be released soon.
Accolades and accomplishments include but are not limited to:
• Participated in a weekly event with John Meyer
• Compared to Jewel, Emmylou Harris and Lucinda Williams by music critics
• One of her songs was used on an episode of USA’s show Burn Notice
• She headlined at High Line Ballroom
• She has toured nationally and performed in Chicago at Summer Bash with DJ Boogie after dance single cycled for 5 consecutive weeks
• Performed in France at MIDEM 2009 where Russia was a featured country
Although Irena hasn’t returned to the Ukraine since she left at the age of 12 she hopes that one day her music may be popular in her motherland. She would love to do a big concert in her home town, Kiev, the city where she was born and raised.
You can listen to and/or purchase Irena Hart’s music by logging onto the following websites: