You are using an outdated browser. Please upgrade your browser to improve your experience.
Thoughts of Martin
I dropped my box of crayons this morning cornflower and raw amber scooted off like midnight rats to a space under the stove hiding behind lavender cocoa brown went down making a smacking sound on my shoe suede blue landed also mahogany and spring green bittersweet flew like a robin with its dull-red breast and goldenrod the oriole landed on a snake plant as if to build a hanging nest every one beautiful alone and together black and white dreaming a King’s dream rolled off as sister and brother…
CREATOR is calling. Worldwide school shootings. The threat of nuclear war. Hunger in our communities. SHE needs all of HER brood to join hands to save our world. If each one of us did just one thing today to make the world a better place, then all of a sudden we would be living in a much different reality. A reality where kindness is the norm, social responsibility the status quo, and generosity the way of the day.
What can one person do? Well, nobody put it better than Gandhi--“Be the change you want to see in the world.” We at Skyhouse Music are doing our part by “Spreading PEACE & LOVE through MUSIC”. Here is our Top Ten List of some other ways to change our world today. JAH Children--COME ALIVE!
1. LIVE BY THE “GOLDEN RULE”.
"Do unto others as you would have them do unto you”. Live in a reciprocal way with humans and nature. R-E-S-P-E-C-T! Karma, baby.
2. PAY IT FORWARD.
With this concept, the receiver of a good deed "repays" it to others instead of to the original Good Samaritan.
3. THINK POSITIVE THOUGHTS.
“The greatest discovery of all time is that a person can change his future by merely changing his attitude.” ~ Oprah Winfrey
Thinking positive thoughts rather than dwelling on negative thoughts can benefit your overall mental well-being. Negative thoughts rob you of life-affirming energy and keep you from being in the present moment. . 4. BE THANKFUL.
Develop the habit of gratitude. Be deeply appreciative of any blessing in your life. Appreciate what is in this moment. .
5. BE GREEN.
Be aware of using the Earth's resources more efficiently. Learn how reducing, reusing, and recycling can help our communities and our environment by saving money, energy, and natural resources. Reduce waste, reuse what you can, and recycle what you can't.
“Peace begins with a smile” ~ Mother Teresa
A smile is one of the greatest blessings that we possess. When you shine your smile at another person, as you light up, it lights them up. A smile is contagious. It makes us feel accepted and appreciated, and even loved. A smile has the power within it to change the world because it reminds us that we are one.
To be human means that we will make mistakes. No one is perfect. All of us have been hurt by the words or deeds of another. Perhaps you were bullied in school. Maybe you were betrayed by someone that you love or lost a loved one to senseless violence. These types of events can leave you with lasting feelings of anger, bitterness and worse of all--hatred. Forgiveness can help you focus on other, positive parts of your life. To renounce anger and resentment makes the world a better place..
“I have a dream.” ~ Martin Luther King Jr.
Pursue your dreams with passion! Deal with the roadblocks keeping your dreams from being fulfilled and get on course to living your dreams. Every action will lead you to the next. Set goals. Stay focused and be patient. Never give up on a dream that you believe in your heart. Dream of a better world and back it up with positive actions.
9. LEARN ABOUT OTHER CULTURES.
Get to know people from different ethnic backgrounds. You will find that we are more alike than we are different.
10. CONNECT WITH SOURCE.
Stay connected to your HIGHER POWER. Call it what you will. GOD. ALLAH. JAH. SUPREME BEING. CREATOR. You were born to make a contribution to the UNIVERSE that no one else can make. The more you learn how to tune into SOURCE in your own unique way, the more you will affect positive change in the world. L-O-V-E. LOVE…
The ReverbNation PDX R&B Compilation Mixtape is the idea of ReverbNation R&B/Soul artist Harris (http://www.reverbnation.com/harrisjams) to spotlight the diverse talent and sounds of Portland R&B. It is meant to be a vehicle to introduce ourselves to each other, to network, and form musical friendships while also helping music fans to discover just how deep the R&B/Soul well runs in Portland.
The beauty of it is, that no matter who winds up on the Mixtape out of almost 200 artists, it will make for an excellent peep into the different ways we go about making the music that is called R&B/Soul. The music that we all love.
My thoughts are to put out a CD(s) and then have a show or shows to release it. I am starting a KickStarter project to fund it.
Thanks for your interest.
12 Reasons to Vote for Barack Obama in 2012
1. He still reminds us that hope is a very important thing for a people to hold on to.
2. Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act. President Obama’s passion for health care for everyone led to historic health care legislation.
3. The President is pro-choice on abortion.
4. Yes. We should do all we can to subsidize our farmers.
5. Barack Obama is for the equality of gay marriage.
6. He wants U.S. National Parks and Forests to continue to be preserved and protected by the federal government.
7. Social Security. Expand and increase the payroll tax on individuals making more than $250K to make up for the budget shortfall. It is imperative that a culture take care of its elders.
8. Medicare. The President is for expanding it. See above.
9. President Obama does not want to limit federal funds to public schools that do not meet performance standards. Those kids need more of our help. Not less.
10. Global Warming. The majority of scientists in the industrialized world believe that the warming of the climate system is primarily caused by such human activities as the burning of fossil fuels and deforestation. So does Barack Obama. Mitt Romney believes that “global warming and cooling are natural cycles beyond our control.’
11. Offshore oil drilling is another important environmental issue. Obama wants to use every incentive to motivate the private sector to develop alternative forms of energy.
12. Now he really knows what he is up against. He deserves the chance to make use of that knowledge.
~ H A R R I S
TEN OF MY FAVORITE SONG LYRICS
1. ‘Be a giant or a grain of sand, words of wisdom, yes I can.’
- Earth, Wind, and Fire, Shining Star
2. ‘You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one. I hope some day you'll join us, and the world will be as one.’
- John Lennon, Imagine
3. ‘You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometime you just might find, you get what you need.’
- The Rolling Stones, You Can't Always Get What You Want
4. ‘When a problem comes along, you must whip it.’
- Devo, Whip It
5. ‘Give me a paper and pen, so I can write about my life of sin. A couple of bottles of gin, in case I don't get in.’
- 2 Pac, Life Goes On 6. ‘War is not the answer, because only love can conquer hate.’
- Marvin Gaye, What's Going On 7. ‘Emancipate yourself from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds.;
- Bob Marley, Redemption Song
8. ‘I'm the King of Rock, there is none higher, sucker MC's should call me sire.
- Run DMC, King Of Rock
9. ‘You can make it if you try, push a little harder, think a little deeper.’
- Sly and the Family Stone, You Can Make It If You Try
10. ‘Love is a temple, love the higher law.’
- U2, One