Howlin’ Jake Johnson - Vocals
Steven Dee Williams - Guitar
Steve Snyder - Sax, Harp, Flute
Carl Falls - Bass
Randy Herbert - Drums
It must be said from the start that if you want your blues fix to be traditional, and straight forward, Boogie Bone may not be for you. If you are open minded and enjoy a band that takes the blues into a special place, you are in for a treat. Since forming in 2006, Boogie Bone has emerged as influential contributors to the fertile blues scene in Portland, Oregon, but not without ruffling some feathers along the way. Their style has brought comparisons from Lead Belly to Led Zeppelin and many artists in between.
The song-writing duo of guitarist Steven Dee Williams and vocalist Jake Johnson is a creative force that weaves clever lyrics with deft musical offerings. Oregon Music Hall of Fame multi-instrumentalist Steve Snyder brings a Swiss army knife approach to musicianship, playing three saxophones, harmonica, flute, and keyboards. This versatility enables the band to easily shape shift from traditional blues to rockers, and from jump blues to funk masters. The rhythm section of Carl Falls and Randy Herbert joined the band in 2012 and provide the foundation that allows the band to spring in whichever direction the composition demands.
Boogie Bone has released three critically acclaimed self-produced records and shared the stage with blues legends: Coco Montoya, Rick Estrin and the Night Cats, Tab Benoit, and Duke Robillard. A performance at the prestigious Safeway Waterfront Blues Festival in 2010 has been followed with an invitation to play again in 2013. "Pro-Bone-O", their latest album, is considered by critics to be their best effort and the album is receiving world wide airplay since it’s release in January 2011. A fourth album is in the works for a 2013 release.
Some of the band’s accolades include:
• 2011 Muddy Nomination for Northwest Album of the Year (Pro-Bone-O)
• 2011 Muddy Nomination for Male Vocalist of the Year (Jake Johnson)
• 2011 Muddy Nomination for Performance of the Year
• 2010 Muddy Nomination for Performance of the Year
• 2010 Muddy Nomination for Best New Act
• 2010 Muddy Nomination for Best Contemporary Blues Band
• 2010 Muddy Nomination for Male Vocalist of the Year (Jake Johnson)
• 2009 Muddy Nomination for Performance of the Year
• 2009 Muddy Nomination for Male Vocalist of the Year (Jake Johnson)
• 2009 Northwest Album of the Year (Bone-A-Fied).
For additional information, pictures, individual member biographies and the latest Boogie Bone news, visit: www.boogieboneband.com