120 Carthage St, Sanford, NC, US
Bio: Temple Theatre was built in 1925. After the death of vaudeville, the Temple became a touring house for the road, and then a movie theater. The Sanford Little Theatre and The Footlight Players used the Temple for their community productions during the 1960's, but in 1965 Temple closed its doors. The rebirth of the Temple began in 1981 when the theatre was donated to Lee County. The building was designated a National Historic Site in 1983 and given a large challenge grant by the NC Legislature. Lee County citizens and businesses matched the grant. The Temple Theatre was refurbished with both the comfort of the theatre patron and the performer in mind. It reopened in 1984 as a professional theatre. The theatre itself is intimate, with 333 seats. There is also old-fashioned orchestra pit, which is utilized by musicians, but can be covered to create a larger stage. The acoustics are superb - highlighted by an ornate painted tin ceiling, and audience members have a good view of the stage from every seat. The Temple is a cultural center and is consistently the top year-round attraction in Lee County. Today, The Temple Theatre Company produces seven Main Stage shows per season ranging from musicals to thought-provoking dramas, with each show running for 3 weeks. All the actors are paid professionals brought in from across the country. Temple Theatre also hosts stand up comedians from across the country as part of its 'One Night Stands' series. Special events at the Temple range from pop concerts to dance recitals. Audience members are attracted from the Triangle, Triad, and the Sandhills areas on a regular basis. In all, around 35,000 people visit the Temple each year. We are always looking for acts that would like perform on otherwise 'dark' nights throughout the year. If you're interested, please contact us.