Gypsy And His Band Of Ghosts
Instead of Sleeping
Bobby Garver of Wicked Chief
Venue Address (Get Directions)Mr. Smalls Theatre
Date and Time
Sunday, July 20th, 2014 at 6:30pm
Mr. Smalls Theatre will be hosting a Revival Showcase on Sunday, July 20th, 2014 featuring Keystone, Drowning Clowns, Instead of Sleeping, Gypsy and His Band of Ghosts, Josie McQueen, Brando Martini & Bobby Garver of Wicked Chief. The Creative.Life.Support Revival Series is a revolutionary model of local showcases where admission is free for over 21 ($2 for under 21). Each band will be distributing free tickets and are paid according to how many of their tickets are redeemed at the door.
· Keystone makes their debut with front-man Cody Ciesielski -- Since the end of Model Class Citizens, Cody had been working towards writing and recording something new and different. Through the aid of producer Brando Martini in early 2013 he started to record what eventually turned into Keystone's debut album, "Red All Over". With guest guitar work from Diego Byrnes (Gypsy & His Band of Ghosts, ex-Spontaneo) and Fred Mascherino (Terrible Things, ex-Taking Back Sunday), it was just a matter of finding the right outfit of seasoned musicians to bring life and future spirit to the project known as Keystone.
Fitting to the name, soon enough the right musicians fell into place from all over Pennsylvania: Drew Steele (Bass Guitar/Vocals) from Derry (towards Ligonier), Connor Minjock (Lead Guitar/Vocals; ex-Arcane Haven) originally from Monongahela, and Dylan Savko (Percussion) hailing from a little town up near Erie. Truly a fitting named band with diverse musical backgrounds to shape together what Cody had envisioned from MCC's farewell show at Mr. Smalls last year to Keystone's album release here now...Rock and roll with a twist.
To listen go to: www.facebook.com/keystoneofficialmusic
· Drowning Clowns’ diverse collection of songs ranges from slow dark Americana to upbeat indie electro-pop to epic rock landscapes that make for an incredibly riveting live experience. A self-proclaimed “psychedelic rock orchestra”, Drowning Clowns creates a powerful musical presence on stage and is fast becoming a regional draw. They have gained international attention having had their music featured in numerous skateboard videos by Evan Smith, Drowning Clowns member and pro-skateboarder (DC/Element/Independent).
Drowning Clowns is a stunning collaboration among some of Pittsburgh’s finest musicians and is a labor of love for Mr. Smalls owners Mike Speranzo (Crisis Car, Out Of The Blue) and Liz Berlin (of the multi-platinum band Rusted Root). Frank Spadafora on lead vocals, guitar & organ (Crisis Car, Out Of The Blue), pro-skater Evan Smith on vocals & guitar (DC/Element/Independent), Glenn Strother on lead guitar (Jazzam, Backstabbing Good People), Levi Graft on keys, Jesse Prentis on bass (Ritual Space Travel Agency), and Shaggy Marcello on drums (The Distractions, Isabella, Love's Gun Shop) solidify this all-star line-up to create an incredibly riveting live experience.
To listen go to: www.reverbnation.com/drowningclowns
· Singer/songwriter Bobby Garver, formerly of The Morning Light, has developed a refreshing taste of rock and roll with new rising group, Wicked Chief. Think Tom Petty spirited melodies meets Modest Mouse angst progressions, a blend of sounds that accents the lyrical content in more than a pop manner. With an eclectic lineup of Pittsburgh musicians from bands past, Garver's new group brings a new light to the face of rock music that's been brewing in the Pittsburgh scene.
To listen go to: https://soundcloud.com/bobbygarver
· Instead of Sleeping is an indie-rock band hailing from the industrial-hub of Pittsburgh, PA. Comprised of Shaun Sweeney (guitar/lead vocals), Jeff Binando (bass/backup vocals), Woody Wright (guitar/keys/auxiliary percussion) Corey McClaine (drums); this four-piece has been demanding attention of the Steel City and beyond with their signature blend of contemporary indie rock since their 2008 inception. During their years together, Instead of Sleeping has evolved from a hookah-bar jam band into a multi-instrumental outfit. Now showcasing two drum kits, keys, and a myriad of other sound that transformed the band from a traditional indie-rock quartet into a swelling stage presence. The fellas built up a strong reputation as an independent rock band touring regionally on their third studio effort, The Reds, The Blacks, The Grays, which dropped in the Spring of 2012. The band has been privileged to share the stage with notable national acts fun., The Dear Hunter, O’Brother, and Good Old War.
To listen go to: http://insteadofsleeping.bandcamp.com/ AND http://www.insteadofsleeping.com/
· Gypsy and His Band of Ghosts is lead by Capolupo (Gypsy), a musician with old school appeal; he’s a vagabond, endlessly curious and virtually incapable of muting his musical ambition. Capolupo spent the 2000s as a drummer for two prominent metal bands (Haste The Day and Once Nothing) and it was on those long grueling tours that he began penning his own songs. Once those outfits dissolved, he was left with a collection of beautifully uncluttered folk gems and nobody to play them with. A few years later, Gypsy & His Band Of Ghosts has filled out with three worldly non-ghost musicians named Diego Byrnes (guitar, vocals), Tony Tortella (bass, vocals) and Scott Maniglia (percussion, vocals). Though Capolupo had known each member previously through other musical endeavors, it wasn’t until the bunch played in a room together that it all clicked. Now fully formed, Gypsy & His Band of Ghosts have ascended new heights with their debut EP, ‘Shortcuts, Backup Plans & Detours’, and already have a new album in the works. To all involved, it feels like Gypsy & His Band Of Ghosts has been here all along. Before they even entered a studio, before they even had a full band, before they even had a name.
To listen go to: http://gypsyandhisbandofghosts.bandcamp.com/ AND http://gypsyandhisbandofghosts.com/
· Josie McQueen is a rock group from Pittsburgh, PA, formed in April 2012. The group includes Jon Willard (drums, percussion), Jesse Weygandt (lead guitar, backing vocals), and Aaron Duda (lead vocals, bass guitar). Now with two albums under their belts, "An Introduction" and "Shed Some Light", Josie McQueen are ready to bring their sound to the masses. Best described as a melodic alternative rock machine with a punk rock engine.
To listen go to: https://www.facebook.com/josiemcqueenband/app_204974879526524
· Brando Martini is an Acoustic/Reggae/Folk artist from Pittsburgh, PA. He started performing hard rock music at the age of 15 until he started playing in a punk/reggae band named Royal, 3 years later. This dramatic shift in genre influenced his solo work a great deal. Pulling influences from Toots and the Maytals, Bob Marley, Jason Mraz, and Brett Dennen, Brando strives to blend a folk sensibility with a reggae core. He has been playing music for over 15 years and in the second half of his career began to produce several bands in his home studio. In 2008, he went to Full Sail University in Orlando, Florida where he earned degrees in Recording Arts, Music Business, and Entertainment Business. When he returned to Pittsburgh from school in 2011, he joined Touchfaster, LLC (a local Entertainment and Media Services company) as Part Owner and Lead Audio and Video Director. Though his music has taken a back seat to his work for Touchfaster, he still loves to perform periodically. His upcoming performance at Mr. Smalls Theater is in support of Keystone's CD Release, a project that he produced and recorded.
To listen go to: http://youtube.com/brandomartinimusic