Venue Address (Get Directions)Green Acres Canoe
Date and Time
Saturday, May 11th, 2013 at 8:00pm
The First Annual Ralph Martin Canoe For The Cure:
We are happy to announce that this spring, on Saturday May 11 2013, we will kick off the first annual Ralph Martin Canoe for the Cure. This will be a fundraising event benefiting the American Cancer Society. To make this event a success, we will need a little help from our friends:)
As you all know, last year our dad, Ralph Martin, fought his battle with esophegeal cancer. We would like to carry the torch in honor of his memory and continue fighting the good fight for the many people that are still battling this disease. If the funds we raise through this event can help just ONE PERSON then that would be a victory for us. We are reaching out to all of you to help us by becoming a sponsor of our team and/or by coming out to canoe with us on May 11. We have attached the link to the fundraising page to donate to our team. Please invite anyone you think may be interested in donating or participating in this event.
If you do not wish to canoe, please feel free to come out to Green Acres picnic shelters at 12:30p.m. and join us for a potluck gathering. Come listen to some Blue Caboose, bring a snack, cheer us on and help us remember how much we all loved Ralph. One of Ralph’s favorite places to be was out on the water in a boat and we know he will be there with us. We hope to see you all there!
To Donate to the American Cancer Society on behalf of Ralph Martin Canoe for the Cure, please visit our team page by clicking on the link below. If you prefer to donate by check, you can print out a form from the website to send in or we will have forms available at the event.
If you would like to join us for the canoe trip here are the details:
• There are two separate canoe trips you can sign up for, an 8 mile and a 3 mile. Please arrive at Green Acres Canoe Rental in Harrison, Ohio on Saturday May 11, 2013 at 9:00 a.m. for the 8 mile trip or at 10:30 a.m. for the 3 mile trip. We will sign in at their rental office and get our equipment.
• Every person canoeing must pay an equipment rental fee of $12 for the 3 mile trip or $18 for the 8 mile trip. This fee may go down a few dollars based on how many participants we have.
• Children ages 3 to 12 not wanting to row will be given a life jacket and can ride in the center of the canoe for free.
• It takes approximately 1 ½-2 hours to complete the 3 mile trip and 4 hours to complete the 8 mile trip. If you are not canoeing the party afterward will probably begin around 12:30 - 1:00 pm.
• Please let Michael or Jen know which trip you would like to sign up for and if you would like to rent a canoe or a kayak (same price for either).
• After canoeing we invite everyone to join us at the Green Acres picnic shelters for a potluck gathering. Non-alcoholic drinks will be provided (this event is BYOB if you wish). We are asking everyone to please bring a pot luck dish to share. I am making my dad’s famous firehouse chili. I encourage everyone with culinary talents to make a family or personal “famous recipe” that’s near and dear to their heart. If you have a great chili recipe please make some and bring it! (Because you know mine is vegetarian!) We will have outlets for crock pots. For cold dishes, I would recommend bringing them in a cooler since they will need to stay fresh while we are canoeing.
• Performing live at the party we will have the awesome and incredibly talented band Blue Caboose!
In the event that the river or weather conditions prevent us from canoeing on Saturday May 11 our "rain date" will be Sunday June 9, same times and same place. Thank you so much for your support and participation