Atlanta-based internationally acclaimed Jazz vocalist and recording artist Sweet Lu’s latest project is called “Meet me at the Crossroads”. Released in April 2017, the album debuted at number 4 on the Billboard Jazz Albums Charts, just behind Gregory Porter and Norah Jones. During its next 3 weeks, it rose to number 1 on the Billboard Traditional Jazz Albums Charts.
While Sweet Lu Olutosin’s music consistently displays a unique and energetic creativity, it is his live performance that is the crown jewel of excitement in engaging modern Jazz.
Significant recent performances include:
· J.F. Kennedy Center Washington DC -
· Otto Jazz Festival - Naples, Italy -
· Cala Gonone Jazz Festival - Sardegna, Italy
· Miasino Jazz Festival - Miasino, Italy -
· Washington DC Jazz Festival - DC -
· Wolf Creek Jazz Festival - Atlanta, GA -
· Teggiano Jazz Festival - Teggiano, Italy
· Atlanta Jazz Festival - Atlanta, GA
- Billboard #1 Traditional Jazz album (https://tinyurl.com/yy639wlt)
As a youngster Lu's goal was to be an uninhibited singer using a mix of jazz, blues, and gospel to create music with the message of soulful, spiritual healing.
This goal remains as Lu channels everything from Al Jarreau, Joe Williams, Lou Rawls, Eddie Jefferson, and John Lee Hooker in his performances creating his own unique vocal style. This musical odyssey did not take the expected route, however. Instead, his trek detoured with a 35-year stint in the US armed forces. Lu’s years in the military taught him the very important lessons of discipline, order, method and ultimately, belief in himself. Lu recently retired from the Army with the rank of full Colonel.
“Olutosin is masterful, filled with ideas within his phrasing, and deeply rooted in blues. The soulfulness of his well-rounded masculine voice is a beacon in the male jazz vocal idiom. One voice I hope to hear for many years"
~ H. Williams, JazzTimes