Please check out my new website - www.PETEANDERSON.com. Please visit the "Q&A" section and feel free to ask me anything regarding guitars & gear. Thanks...Pete http://www.peteanderson.com/qanda.html
Can you give us a brief history of your playing career? Wow... Brief? I Stared playing in East Detroit at 16 years old... Folk blues. Quickly went to electric blues by age 21. I moved to Phoenix and started playing blues in bars. Moved to Los Angeles in '72 at 24 years old. I didn't know one person, slept in my car, started going to jam sessions and meeting people. I went on the road with a top 40 club band for a brief while. Then I came back to Los Angeles and shuffled around for about 9 years playing, jamming and recording. I studied at GIT (now MIT) in '79. That changed my whole musical world, I became music literate. I met Dwight Yoakam playing in a country bar. He borrowed $5,000 from a friend of mine and I produced the 1st record "Guitars, Cadillacs, Etc., Etc.". The record sold a million copies and I became well know. The rest is history.
What inspired you to start playing guitar? Elvis Presley. But in retrospect... The sound, which was Scotty Moore.
What was your first electric guitar? A Silvertone Esperanza. I bought it at a pawn shop near Tiger Stadium in '67.
What are your top 5 favorite records? Wes Montgomery, Chet Backer, Little Walter, B.B. King and Muddy Waters.
What was the proudest moment and/or performance of your playing career? Either watching myself on The Tonight Show with my mother or playing Pine Knob Music Theather (DTE Theater in Clarkston, MI) when I was introduced as being from Detroit.
How did you hear about Reverend? I saw Kid Rock flipping the bird in an ad in Guitar Player Magazine.
What Reverend guitar(s) are you using? My own model, the "Pete Anderson Signature". Also, the Buckshot, Flatroc and Jetstream.
What do you like about your Reverend guitar? That Joe Naylor did what he said we would do... We made quite an outstanding guitar.
What amps and pedals do you currently use? Usually an old Pod with a tube power amp. No pedals but I have lots of amps. I love Fenders.
Do you have any unusual hobbies, skills, or pastimes you'd like to share with us? Staying healthy.
Do you have any advice for up and coming players? Stay healthy and stay hungry. Look for your weakness and fix it... It's a long road.
Please tell us about any of your current projects, tours, cds, etc. we should know about: I am always working. I just finished a new CD called "Even Things Up". It's blues orientated. I'm going to Spain in August and headlining an Americana Fest. Doing the bandleader thing and opening the "King of the Blues" Guitar Center contest again in November. Also scoring a documentary for PBS, building a new studio, preparing to produce another record for Time-Life and rearranging my life to devote myself to performing as a guitarist 1st and foremost.
1. It’s been a while since we last talked to you Pete..what have you been up to lately?? ..THE BIG THING IS MOVING MY STUDIO AFTER 10 YRS IN THE SAME LOCATION ... I REALLY GOT DUG IN HERE & IT HAS BEEN QUITE A CHORE 2 MOVE & BUILD A NEW STUDIO 2 MY SPECS ...BUT THE THOUGHT OF MY OWN DESIGN FROM THE GROUND UP "PLUG& PLAY " CREATIVE SPACE IS VERY EXCITING & I CAN'T WAIT 2 B THERE MAK'N MUSIC....JUST FINISHED THE NEW TANYA TUCKER CD 4 TIME-LIFE /SAGUARO ROAD ..STARTING A NEW ONE IN A FEW WEEKS ...ALSO SCORING A DOCUMENTARY 4 PBS ...DESIGNED A NEW SIGNATURE GUITAR ..BLAH BLAH BLAH WHEWW ..2 MUCH
2. Can you tell us what your involvement is with Guitar Centers King of the Blues?.....I WAS APPROACHED BY JACK SONNI,WHO WAS HEAD OF MARKETING 4 THE GT. CENTER BACK IN EARLY '06 2 GET INVOLVED W/ A CONTEST THEY WERE HAVING CALLED "KING OF THE BLUES" ...THE IDEA WAS 2 HAVE A NATIONAL CONTEST 2 FIND THE NEXT GR8 UNKNOWN BLUES GUITARIST ....JACK ASKED ME IF I WAS INTERESTED & I JUMPED @ THE CHANCE ....B-IN THAT BLUES WAS MY 1ST LOVE .... THEY WANTED ME 2 CREATE SOME TRAX W/VARIOUS GROOVES 4 THE CONTESTANTS 2 PERFORM 2 ..... I PICKED MY FAVORITE'S OF ALL TIME & RECORDED THEM HERE @ MY OWN DOG BONE STUDIOS ...I USED JAMES CRUCE ON DRUMS ( THE CLAPTON/JJ CALE CD) MIKE MURPHY (REO SPEEDWAGON /BILLY VERA/JOE WALSH) ON KEYS & I PLAYED THE BASS & ALL THE GUITAR .WE USED THE KORG CX-3 ORGAN & I USED THE VOX CUSTOM CLASSIC......THEN THEY ASKED IF I WOULD COME 2 CHICAGO & LEAD THE HOUSE BAND ...WHAT A TREAT THAT TURNED OUT 2 B ....IT WAS IN THE SUMMER DURING BLUES FEST & B.B. KING WAS THE HEADLINER... I SAW BB IN '68 @ THE NOW FAMOUS ANN ARBOR BLUES FEST & THEN AGAIN IN '06 ..IT GAVE ME CHILLS 2 WITNESS THAT MUCH HISTORY ON STAGE ....TERRIFIC EXPERIENCE...
3. What’s your current favorite VOX product?... THE JOE "SATCH"DELAY PEDAL '"TIME MACHINE"
4. Do you use any other VOX products?I HAVE BEEN MESSING AROUND W/THE JAM VOX..GR8 PRACTICE TOOL
5. Anything else you’d like us to mention?..I AM DOING "KING OF THE BLUES" AGAIN THIS YEAR @ THE HOUSE OF BLUES IN NOVEMBER ...I WILL ALSO B RELEASING MY NEW CD @ THAT TIME CALLED "EVEN THINGS UP" ..IT WILL B AVAILABLE @ MY WEB SITE LITTLEDOGRECORDS.COM...PLAY'N THE BLUES ...ORGAN TRIO STYLE ...CK ME OUT 4 SOME FUN GIGS AROUND SO CAL B4 I START GOING OUT OF TOWN
West Coast Entertainment Relations Manager
KORG STUDIO WEST
Check out my YouTube Channel!
Look for my new album hitting the shelves this fall entitled "Even Things Up"!