You are using an outdated browser. Please upgrade your browser to improve your ReverbNation experience.
Laurie Biagini is a songwriter/singer from Vancouver, British Columbia Canada, whose music would appeal to fans of 1960’s California sunshine pop. Her sound and compositions have been compared to The Beach Boys, The Mamas and the Papas, and Jackie DeShannon. Her main influences include these artists along with The Beatles, The Byrds, The Monkees, The Turtles, and Jan & Dean.
Laurie has played piano by ear since age five, alongside ten years of classical piano training. She only started writing music in August 2006, after writing her first song which came to her with music and lyrics simultaneously one afternoon as she was commuting home from work. Since then, she has completed and released three albums: “Ridin’ the Wave” (released November 2008), “A Far-Out Place” (released March 2010), and “A Go-Go Girl in a Modern World” (released November 2011).
All of Laurie’s songs have been written, composed, performed and recorded by herself, with the exception of a handful of songs on “A Go-Go Girl in a Modern World”. This most recent album featured some guitar tracks from Fabrizio Serrecchia (Italy) and Peter Hackett (UK), lyrics on one track from Elaine McAfee Bender (USA), and one track with lyrics cowritten with Maxi Dunn (UK) and performed together as a duet.
The albums have received positive reviews from numerous publications in the Powerpop Community. Some other highlights:
• All three CD’s placed in the top 50 of David Bash’s (of International Pop Overthrow fame) year-end best album lists.
• “A Far-Out Place” and “A Go-Go Girl in a Modern World” in the 10 Best CD’s of the year (2010, 2011) in The Province News by rock journalist Tom Harrison.
• “A Go-Go Girl in a Modern World” chosen as one of the top 25 albums of 2011 on CBC Radio One (Earlier show).
• “A Far-Out Place” and “A Go-Go Girl in a Modern World” included in the most-played albums on Maui’s Time Machine Radio Show.
• “A Far-Out Place” was one of the top albums of 2010, and “A Go-Go Girl in a Modern World” received the Ear Candy award for 2011 on Sacramento’s Twirl Radio show.
• Artist of the month for June and July 2009 on the Twirl Radio Show
• “Ridin’ the Wave” listed in the top 100 albums of 2009 on the Powerpop Station in Brazil.
Laurie has performed at the International Pop Overthrow Festival in San Francisco (2008), CA, Vancouver, B.C (2008-2011), and Liverpool, UK (2010). She has also performed at the North Vancouver Festival of Lights, along with 2 charity Christmas Concerts arranged through Rave-On Studio. She has performed twice in Italy – Reggio Emilia (March 2011), and Rome (June 2010).
GUEST APPEARANCES ON COMPILATION ALBUMS
Laurie has appeared on the International Pop Overthrow compilation CD Volumes 11, 12, 13, and 14, as well as guest vocals on “Encomium in Memorium Vol. 1 – Jan Berry of Jan & Dean”. She was signed by SideB Music for their holiday compilation “Rockin’ the Mistletoe” with her song “Christmas in the Air”, and additionally submitted a different mix of the song on "A Very Vancouver Christmas 5", a locally produced compilation by Rave On Studio, to benefit the SPCA.
As to her future plans, Laurie wants to continue writing and recording music, and explore opportunities to collaborate with other musicians. She also hopes to expand her audience by taking advantage of any opportunities to appear on future compilation albums, as well as performing in more locations both domestic, and abroad. The art of creating music has been an educational experience (not to mention a total rush!), and she hopes be ridin’ that wave for some time to come!