Well Trained Monkey is the recording and performance name of my one person electro-funk Calypso band. I play alto saxophone, electric and acoustic guitars and electric bass, along with beat programming, sampling, synths, and mixing. I like to describe the music as having a style somewhere between the 20th Century tropical sounds of exotica, Calypso, and swing with 21st Century DJ-style dance rhythms, sound fx, synths, and live instrument improvisation, sort of a "Martin Denny-meets-the-Chemical Brothers-via-Frank Zappa" thing. My debut album "Electro-Funk Tiki Lounge" was released in February of 2011.
As for the name, it derives from an incident when a temp company called to tell me they had three days of "filing work" for me to do. I reported to a warehouse. The supervisor said hello, sat me down at a desk, and opened a crate with a crowbar. Inside the crate there were some boxes, and inside each box was a plumbing screw with some metal shavings, burrs and such. The supervisor pointed to the threads on the screw and said, "Ya see where these little metal shavings are? We need you to FILE those!" and he handed me a metal file so I could get to work. "I am a Well Trained Monkey," was of course my next thought.
I also enjoy performing regularly around the Minneapolis/St. Paul area with my bands The Laundry (reggae) - (debut CD "First World Problems" now out)!; Glasshouses (modern dance), and sitting in on sax with Rolling Stones tribute band Stoned Acoustic and blues band Mr. Blue. I also was a featured performer on guitar and saxophone with my good friends The Whiskey Sournotes.
Please contact me here or at email@example.com for live shows and collaborations.
* The Laundry - "First World Problems," 2012. Compositions, Vocals, Guitars, Harmonica, Alto Saxophone.
* Well Trained Monkey - "Electro-Funk Tiki Lounge," 2011. Compositions, Alto Saxophone, Electric Bass, Beats, Programming (Fractal Music 2000 & Rhythm Rascal), Guitars, Didgeridoo, Synths, Samples, Electronics.
* Michael J. Sheehy and the Hired Mourners - "With These Hands: The Rise and Fall of Francis Delaney" Glitterhouse Records, 2009. Alto Saxophone on "Fight for Your Right to Fight."
* The Lost Marbles - "King Solomon's Lost Marbles" 2008. Alto Saxophone.
* Rube - "Another Gone Record." Jazz & Milk Recordings, 2007. Alto Saxophone, Upright Bass.