Recipient of the Lifetime Achievement Award from the Empress Theatre in 2015
• Recipient of the Music Icon Award from the Black Music
Association & Academy of America in 2015
• Recipient of the Best Male Blues Artist from the Black Music Association & Academy Of America in 2015
• Voted 2005 Blues Guitar Player of the Year,
• Former vocalist with the Rock and Roll Hall of fame group "The Coasters”,
• Regional winner of the Guitar Centers "King of the Blues" national contest in 2006 and 2007,
• His CD “The Blues Grew up" was nominated for Outstanding Blues Album of 2004.
His CD “The Blues Grew up" was Voted as one of the top ten CD's in Japan in 2005.
• His incredible CD "Guitars and Cars”, was voted in the top ten CD’s of 2008 by the prestigious Blues magazine “Real Blues ”.
• Nominated for the Entertainer of the Year Award with the
"International Music and Entertainment Association".
His early music influences were Guitar players such as Wes Montgomery, Andre Segovia, Charlie Christian, and of course Jimi Hendrix. His vocalist influences were Frank Sinatra, Joe Williams, Johnny Hartman, and Nat King Cole. He has performed with many well known artists, including The Drifters, The Coasters, The Shirelles, Bobby Day of Rocking’ Robin fame, and Jimmie Rodgers of Country and Western fame.
Alvon Johnson sought out, and learned, at the feet of many icons
of the Blues, including John Lee Hooker, Pee Wee Crayton, Little Joe Blue, Harmonica Fats, Sonny Green, Frankie Lee, Guitar Shorty, Lowell Folsom, and Buddy Ace.
Known for his comedic style, Alvon Johnson worked with many comedians such as Renaldo Rey, Robin Harris, Skillet and Leroy, and Lawanda Paige (Aunt Ester), from the Redd Foxx show.
Having the opportunity to work with these outstanding comedians helped him to develop his own style of comedy which served him well as a vocalist with the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame group "The Coasters".
Alvon Johnson has become a highly respected international Singer, Musician, and Entertainer. Weather he sings with Big Bands performing the great material of the American Song Book or the Low Down Blues, Alvon Johnson is an artist whose act should not be missed. He tours constantly on the international level as well as nationally in such places as Russia, Spain, Africa, Hungary, Portugal, Poland, Malaysia, China, France, Italy, Japan, Singapore, New Zealand, Europe, Canada, The Bahamas, and Australia.