You are using an outdated browser. Please upgrade your browser to improve your ReverbNation experience.
Siyabonga Mngomezulu better known as CYA was born in the dusty streets of Ermelo in Mpumalanga 1994 and moved to Dundonald 2001 due to his Primary and Secondary Education.
Like every rapper, he developed the love and passion for music back in High School, being close to his School friends always listening to artist like F_Eezy, Maraza, Zulu Boy, Teargas, Pro, Red Button when playing Video Games. Something you should know, he is a great fan of Video Games.
In 2009 CYA decided to start writting his own lyrics, record with his phone and let his friends judge what he has recorded.
Him and his friends (Thembinkosi Xulu, Mfundo Nkosi & Musa Mathe) decided to form a group and named it Game Quest, they made a name for themselves almost all around Mpumalanga, performing everywhere they can, holding Online Interviews, travelling to attend Gigs and Features trying to build the group name.
Obiously no one can predict life, so just after their matric completion they splited places for different personal reasons. So CYA decided to persue his solo music career and release singles which did good on radio and got a chance to showcase his talent on national Television, audition on SA Got Talent - 2013, Shot his first professional music video with STQ Pictures, Live Performances on National & Community Radio Stations which boosted his fanbase.
CYA entered "Route 40 Talent Search - 2013" at Casterbridge Music Development Academy (CMDA) and won the 2nd place which gave him a chance to share a stage with Vusi Mahlasela, Prime Circle, ISO, Paige Mac & more at THE ROUTE 40 MUSIC FESTIVAL which was held at White River, Mpumalanga
Late 2014 CYA was discovered by Biziwe Masango (Ikwekwezi fm dj/Kwaito artist) who signed him under his record label Matwetwe Entertainment.
From there, the boy just clicked to the whole lots of people. According to him, success is not just success for him but for Mpumalanga as a whole.
ARTISTS WORKED WITH
By this short period of time, the boy managed to work with Bertrum(Tanzania), J-Arrow, The Dream, Kapitaal beats, SiL, Jay Spitter, Swatie KhingKhong, Weza, BYK, Mr Zetman, Kenanji (Malawi) & P Master L
MEDIA & PRESS
*Ligwalagwala FM (1.3 Million Listeners)
- Played and interviewed 2 times on the "Sisonke Midday Grove" hosted by Khaya
- Performed he's EP "The Entry" in a 30 minutes slot LIVE on the "PTRpreparty" #PTRLiveActs show hosted by Big Zill & earned a lot of love from the listeners
*Ikwekwezi FM (1.4 Million Listeners)
- He was asked for an interview on the "Amathunzi Anabile" afternoon drive show hosted by Mavusana
- His songs "Go Getter", "My Way", "The Business", "iMali" is playlisted in the station.
- Did an official jingle for Jika MaJika show hosted by Biziwe Masango
- Was interviewed and played on the Kusile Breakfast show hosted by Big Zill
*5FM (2.5 Million Listeners)
- His promo single "My Way" was voted No. 1 on "The StirUp" hiphop show local top 5 hosted by Ms Cosmo
*Ukhozi FM (7.4 Million Listeners)
- Performed LIVE on air and got interviewed on the "Clever Unga Give Up" hiphop show hosted by Sbo, Tshath' Ugodo & Mojah Pooh.
- His song "Aint Moving Back" from his EP #TheENTRY featuring one of the best rappers in Malawi Kenanji and Nicey beats made it to number 4 on the Number Number hiphop show #IkasiTop5 Hosted by Zanda and Sbo
- Again his song "Mpumalanga" from the album he's currently working on took number 1 of it first week of entrance on the #iKasiTop5 at the iNambaNamba hiphop show voted by the listeners
- He' music is playlisted on the station & receiving a lot of respect.
*SBIS FM (Swaziland/Mandzini)
- His music is playlisted in station.
- He was invited as a guest on YoTV, got interviewed & also he shared a stage with the young South African poet Bothlale Boikanyo (SA's Got Talent WINNER - 2012) LIVE On The "BIG BREAK-FAST SHOW" hosted by Gift, Taggi & Merica.
Magazines & Newspapers
*Highveld Tribune Newspaper (18, 000 Readers)
- He was featured as the "Ermelo's Up and Coming New Artist" in 2014.
* Sunday Sun (2.5 Million readers)
- He was featured on an article by Everson Luhanga about his music journey and his whereabout on the Entertainment News section
STYLE & INFLUENCE
CYA is a prolific music writer, his style is palatable and matured enough for his age, geared for radio.
Promisingly appeals to a wide audience but yet has a bit of kasi flavour and gritty with catchy English & Zulu hooks.
Most he's being influenced by the daily life challenges, using some other people's lives and his life expiriences to compose music.
Secondly, he get inspiration and influence from other artists including F_Eezy, Molly, Sbuda P, Lungelo, Zakwe, Pro, KO (Teargas)
Released his EP "The ENTRY" Featuring: Weza, P Master L, Kananji (Malawi), Nicey Beats, Mr. Zetman, Ab Crazy, Unique Element & Bertrum (Zambia) on CD and iTunes.
Has a new single rotating on radio titled "iMali" featuring Jay Spitter.
For BOOKINGS / COLLABORATIONS / CD orders / PROPOSALS Contact Management:
Cell: +27 (0)84 342 6971
Telephone number: +27 (0)12 751 3184
Fax number: +27 (0)86 614 1352