"She evokes, in me, feeling reminiscent of my first first encounters with a James Taylor, a Janis Ian or a Sheryl Crow. Honest and delicate musings coupled with authorities well crafted vocals and lush instrumentation, a quality of production that stirs the heart and Goosebumps the flesh." - Musician Ed Talbot
With a broad array of musical influences, Kala's songwriting caters to a wide audience, characterized by elements of folk rock, pop, and jazz. She has been praised for her intricate piano work, enlightening yet relatable lyricism, and pleasantly versatile vocal styling. She cites her classical background as a prominent influence, inspired by the passion of the romantics, the musical landscapes of the impressionists, and the bold experimentation of 20th century composers. Of modern day pianists, she is most impacted by Kate Bush, Regina Spektor, Billy Joel, and Tori Amos. She draws influences from the insightful lyricism and traditional songwriting style of 70s folk artists Joan Baez and Joni Mitchell, coupled with production inspired by the musical arrangements and lush orchestration of artists such as Sleeping At Last (Twilight movie soundtrack) and Radiohead.
KKala has shared the stage with the likes of Don McLean, Christine Ohlman, Brian Jarvis (supporting act of Sister Hazel's 2010 tour), Mikey Wax (CBS's Ghost Whisperer soundtrack, iTunes top 100 pop chart) and Dave Munro of Air Traffic Controller ("Best Indie Rock Act" of the 2010 Boston Music Conference). She has appeared at such venues as The Garde Arts Center, The Regent Theater, The Bushnell's Autorino Hall, Six Flags New England, The Plaza at Patriots Place, and the Dubliner at Mohegan Sun Casino.
Kala has fully immersed herself as a full-time working musician, dividing her time between diverse projects outside of her solo music career including original pop-rock band The Insurance, party/dance band The Booty Shakers, and employment as a professional cocktail-wedding-church singer & pianist. In addition to performing, Kala works behind the scenes in live and studio music production, learning the ins and outs of the music business. In 2011 and 2012 she had the opportunity to provide technical support for The Guess Who, Foghat, Little Big Town, Easton Corbin, and Bachman-Turner at Connecticut's Woodstock Fair.
• Bradley Playhouse Talent Show: Best Vocalist & Audience Favorite (2005)
• Single "Eight Months" - #12 on KIAC Radio Alternative Chart
• Single "Beat" - #1 song in Ourstage.com's Electronic Music competition - May 2007
• "Top 10 Albums of Year" (Naked Honest: Kala Farnham Live 2009) alongside Robert Plant, Jeff Beck, Grace Potter - Paul Rosano of thetrickismusic.com
• Boston's "Steve Katsos Show" featured performer 2010
• Boston's "Big Sauce Radio" featured performer 2011
• Skopemag.com Artist to Watch (June 2011)
• Studio keyboardist - Gail Wade's "October Moon" - Signature Sounds Studio, Ashford, CT
• Special guest opening performance for Don McLean @ The Garde Arts Center (August 2012)
Kala is happy to play for your private party, wedding, theater production, or studio session!