Logged In As Admin: {{reverbUser.name}} ({{reverbUser.id_unique()}}), Acting As: {{reverbPageObject.data.name}} ({{reverbPageObject.id_unique}})
You are using an outdated browser. Please upgrade your browser to improve your ReverbNation experience. 

Cedric Fisher / Bio

I grew up in a small town in Oklahoma. As far back as I can remember I had music like a fountain in my soul bubbling to come out. My uncles, on my mother’s side, were at one time professional musicians. Mom played guitar and sang and my Dad was an accomplished singer/songwriter. He wrote several top songs including a Broadway score for Bill Boyd, one of the legendary Hollywood singing cowboy actors. My first performance was standing on an old chest singing to my siblings and some neighborhood kids. When I was about ten years old, I made a slide “guitar” with a thick board, some bailing wire, staples and screws. Sliding the metal handle of a case knife up and down the strings, I would work out a melody. The trouble was that the next day my contraption would be tuned differently. I had to learn how to play it all over again. My first real guitar came from Alden’s Catalog. It came with an instruction book that showed me a few chords and how to tune a guitar. I worked in the cotton fields chopping cotton and pulling boles to buy my next guitar. Eventually, I got a fairly decent box guitar. Later on I bought a Silvertone electric. I dropped out of high school to play at dances and in every honky tonk that would let an underage musician through the door. I went by the name of Cid Fisher. I entered the Air Force during the Vietnam era to keep from being drafted. After I was discharged, I headed to Nashville. I started out playing drums on the road with an upcoming artist promoting his new (and only) record. After that tour, I went to work for country music legend Charlie Louvin and for a short time lived in his house. While I was working with Louvin, I played “drum” on the Grand Ole Opry in the old Ryman Auditorium. I say “drum” because they did not allow a full set of drums on the Opry during that period. When the gig was up with Louvin, I switched back to playing bass. In the early 70’s, I toured with Doyle Holly, Buck Owens' long-time bass player who had a hit record at the time. Gene Price, former bass player for Merle Haggard, played lead guitar in that band. After that tour ended, I played bass with various other recording artists including The Four Guys, with the legendary Doug Jernigan on the steel guitar, and Walt Conklin. I was staying with Walt and his wife when I jammed with Les Paul at a New Jersey nightclub where I played bass in the house band. I also did a gig with the Curley Chaulker Trio in Printer’s Alley. One recording artist I worked for, Max Powell, had written and co-written several hit songs for/with county music legend Webb Pierce. He introduced me to Pierce one day and he published a song I pitched to him. Eventually, the song was recorded, but it went nowhere. During one visit to his office, he asked my advice concerning a song that he was writing and I contributed a few words. I don’t believe that song made it either. Eventually I left Nashville, played in Florida for a period and then moved back to Oklahoma. A friend and I formed an outlaw country group called Trigger Happy. In that group I played lead guitar. That fell apart because we stayed high almost all the time and couldn’t get work. After that, I landed a gig playing bass in Tulsa, Oklahoma with the Caravan Ballroom Band, which had many former members of Bob Will’s Texas Playboys including saxophonist extraordinaire Glen Rhees. While I was working with them, Eldon Shamblin—Wills' legendary guitarist, for those of you who may not know the name—was featured in Guitar Player magazine. After leaving that group, I played around Tulsa with my own group for a while, and then headed to Houston, the new hot spot for country music at the time along with San Antonio. In Houston, I played lead guitar for Freddie Morrison and played with various other bands. I became friends with legendary guitarist, Charlie Harris. He had more talent in his little finger than I had in my whole hand. Nevertheless, he allowed me to hang out with him. I was in Charlie’s apartment, along with Willie Nelson’s manager who had come to visit him, on the day that Elvis died. Around about that time I recorded a single in Houston that got nation-wide airplay, but didn’t go far. Shortly after that experience I abruptly quit music. I was playing a gig with David Lynn Jones in Lubbock when I had a life-changing experience. I was 29 years old, addicted to drugs, and an alcoholic. One night after we had finished playing, I knelt beside the bed in my motel room and surrendered my life to God. Shortly afterward, I sold all my equipment to David Lynn and headed back to Oklahoma. Music has been on the back burner ever since. In the 31 years since, I’ve recorded a couple of albums, but I was more content with other people recording my songs. In fact, I quit playing and writing completely for ten years. Recently, the songs started coming again and I started back writing. A close friend began encouraging me to record again. I initially believed I was too old and no one would listen to me. I finally decided to record at least one album. If it ministers to people, I might do another one. My music is a mixture of all the genres I performed in when I was a full-time musician. I confess that music is not my priority. I am first and foremost a preacher and teacher of God’s Word. For that reason I’m not really a touring recording artist. If music interfered with my calling, I would lay it down forever with no regrets. It is just a means of expressing my soul’s experience with God and events I have witnessed as I journey along the path of His will for my life.

General Info

Band Members
Cedric Fisher
Artist Name
Cedric Fisher
Profile Page

Contact Info

Asheboro, NC