You are using an outdated browser. Please upgrade your browser to improve your ReverbNation experience.
Hurricane Ruth LaMaster is a vocal powerhouse with a style all her own. She acquired the name Hurricane Ruth from the fact that no one believed that such a large sound could come out of such a small woman!
“Ruth LaMaster has a powerful voice that could allow her to excel in a directory of rockin 'blues ala Ruth Brown / LaVern Baker” – Bernard Boyat, Le Cri du Coyote
“Pipes like this are what people are hearing when they refer to someone “belting out the blues”. “ – Peter “Blewzzman” Lauro, Mary4Music.com
The POWER of Big Mama Thornton; FIRE of Janis Joplin; boundless stage ENERGY of Tina Turner, and SOULFULNESS of Aretha Franklin!
Hurricane Ruth LaMaster is a captivating performer, she will grab your attention from note one, and never let you go!
The great WILLIE DIXON once told Ruth “You’re the only hurricane I can appreciate”.
The Glendale tavern, in Beardstown, Illinois, was Milt LaMaster’s, (Ruth’s father), business. Sunday at the Glendale meant jam sessions. Musicians came to the Glendale from all over the region to perform at these sessions. Many genres were represented; blues, jazz, country, and big band. All of these styles are represented in the music Ruth writes and performs today. Ruth remembers being as young as three sitting on her Dad’s lap, while he played drums in these jams. She would keep time on the ride cymbal while he played. These Sunday sessions are some of Ruth’s earliest and fondest memories.
Ruth has performed with John Lee Hooker, B.B. King, Willie Dixon, Taj Mahal, Ramsey Lewis Trio, Sam & Dave, Fenton Robinson, Maynard Ferguson and his orchestra, and most recently; Kenny Wayne Shepherd, Royal Southern Brotherhood, and Ronnie Baker Brooks. Ruth’s vocals are deeply rooted in traditional blues, but make no mistake, she can rock the house! Ruth has opened for renowned rockers: Heart, Judas Priest, Joan Jett and The Blackhearts & Steppenwolf, just to name a few.
Hurricane Ruth LaMaster is the total vocal package!
Born on the River, Hurricane Ruth’s 2nd album is an eclectic group of eleven original songs that was released in September 2014. Born on the River is intense and heavy with the same energy as a live Hurricane Ruth band performance. It is receiving national and international acclaim, and was nominated for the IBC Best Self-Produced CD 2015. Born on the River has consistently ranked on The Roots Music Report, as well as many other national and international charts.
Her 1st album, The Power of the Blues…Feels like a Hurricane, was released in 2012.
Hurricane Ruth band was a 2012 International Blues Challenge participant.
• 4 songs on the 2014 TOP 100 of The Roots Music Report – Electric Blues Song Chart
• #7 on the 2014 TOP 100 of The Roots Music Report – Blues Rock Album Chart
• Born on the River was #42 on Roy Prescott’s (Host Morning Drive Host 93.5 WMWV-FM) - Blues Summit Top 50 Best of the Blues for 2014
• Blues in the Northwest - 2014 Pick of the Year
• Born on the River was #62 on WMHB’s Top 100 Blues Chart for 2014 - Waterville ME
• Born on the River was picked as one of “Blues Doc’s” Top 50 Blues Albums for 2014 – WNRB 93.3 (Madison, Wi.)
• Born on the River was nominated for 2015 IBC Best Self-Produced CD
• Born on the River has been on the Blues Power Top 30 Chart (Gil Anthony – Dothan, AL), for the 6 months since its release
• Power of the Blues…Feels Like a Hurricane was nominated for 2013 IBC Best Self-Produced CD
• Power of the Blues…Feels Like a Hurricane finished in the top 10 of Germany’s Wasser-Prawda magazine’s “Reader’s Poll for Best Blues Rock CD” of 2012
• Power of the Blues…Feels like a Hurricane placed 11th on WEFT’s (Champaign, IL) Top 50 Blues CDs for 2012 (ranked by number of spins
Ain’t Nothin’ but the Blues
Beardstown Fall Fun Festival
Champaign Blues, Brews & BBQs
Chatham Sweetcorn Festival
Hot August Blues Festival
Illinois Blues Festival
Make-a-Wish Music Festival
Merchant Street Music Festival
Old Capitol Blues & BBQ
Reds, Whites and Blues Festival
Roadhouse Blues Festival
Rollin’ on the River Blues Festival
Round Barn Blues
Smokin’ Blues & BBQ’s
Taste of Downtown
UCP Music Festival