My name is Carlos Barata, a 23 year old, acoustic singer-songwriter and performer from Bethlehem, PA.
Over the past 9 years, the guitar has been my go-to, yet without a doubt my voice has proved to be my strongest suit. My style can be most readily described as acoustic, alternative, and my musical influences range from The Beatles, to Jack Johnson, The Black Keys, and more! In front of both family and strangers, from private parties to bars, festivals, weddings, and even ribbon-cutting ceremonies for restaurants and hair salons, I've had my fair share of experience on stage and in the spotlight.
As a toddler, my first musical encounters took place in my father's wine cellar, with him on guitar and my grandfather on concertina playing traditional Portuguese Fado. After hearing The Beatles “Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da” for the first time in the car with my mother, I became a fanatic – I grew out my hair, read up on their complete history, and decided that I was going to venture into instrumental territories. I dropped the piano, and picked up the drums and bass. After gaining a deeper sense of rhythm, I sought melody and harmony once again, as well as a more versatile and portable instrument. Picking up my father's guitar, I began to learn simple chords – E Major was my first, and I’ve loved it ever since. Soon after teaching myself the basics, I paired my vocals to the strumming and started writing words of my own.
After solidifying my songwriting style, going solo, and having performed at various school and private family functions I recorded my first solo album, “Believe”, in 2009. My second album, “This State We?re In” would arrive two years later, featuring yours truly on guitar, bass, piano, vocals, backing vocals, and African djembe. A third album is currently in the works (to be released by January 2016). With crafty original tunes, and a fun selection of covers I was able to take the stage at various Lehigh Valley events such as Tunes @ Noon, Easton Farmer's Market, Peeps Fest, and Musikfest (2010, 2011, 2012, 2014). I've shared the stage with artists such as Matt & Kim, Pete Francis of Dispatch, and Brushfire Records' Matt Costa. One can also find me in my 4 seconds of glory on American Idol | Season 12, Episode 1.
All in all, it's been a long journey, yet I'm always looking forward to what could come next.
To me, anything's possible when you're behind the music.
Past Performances :
1. 1st place @ 2010 Riverfusion's Got Talent. Opened for Matt & Kim at Riverfusion 2010 in Bethlehem, PA.
2. Opened for Pete Francis of Dispatch @ Lafayette College 2010 in Easton, PA.
3. Performed at Opening of Third Street Cafe in Easton, PA.
4. Performed at ribbon cutting ceremony (Summer 2011) for Trendz Beauty Academy in Easton, PA.
5. Opened for Austin Renfroe @ Lafayette College 2010.
6. Performed at Musikfest 2010.
7. Performed at Musikfest 2011.
8. Opened for Matt Costa @ Lafayette College 2011 in Easton, PA.
9. Performed at Lafayette Day in the Square in Easton, PA.
10. Performed at Closing of Third Street Cafe in Easton, PA.
11. Performed at "Tunes @ Noon" in Easton, PA.
12. Performed at various Easton Farmer's Markets.
13. Performer at Musikfest 2012.
14. Headliner at Fall Fest 2013 - Lafayette College in Easton, PA.
15. Performed at Musikfest 2014.
16. and more...