Janice Gilbert grew up in rural South Dakota. Like most performers, she started singing at an early age, mostly in her church and community. Gilbert’s talent earned her the coveted spot of being the 2004 Dakota Star Talent Search winner at the South Dakota State Fair. As a result of this contest she won the opportunity to record with Chad Sharp of the Minneapolis, MN based independent record label C-Sharp Productions. In May of 2005 she released her first CD single, which featured three original songs. Gilbert’s single is the highest-selling CD of all the Dakota Star winners to date.
This turning point in Gilbert’s career inspired her to focus on songwriting and to become more involved in the music industry. In June of 2006, Gilbert moved to Nashville, TN where she taught music and wrote with many talented writers, often playing at various writers clubs in the Nashville area including the world renowned Bluebird Cafe.
Gilbert is a member of the Nashville Songwriters Association International (NSAI) and the Tennessee Songwriters Association International (TSAI). Gilbert has had several songs signed to single-song publishing contracts as well as had her songs recorded by several independent artists, including a cut with 4-time Grammy nominated California Country Artist, Vicki Vann.
In June 2013, Gilbert returned to her roots in South Dakota and continues to play her original music at various venues and events.
* 2004 Dakota Star Talent Search Winner
* 2010 TSAI Most Promising Female Songwriter
* Inducted into the South Dakota Country Music Hall of Fame on September 11, 2011.
* 2011 TSAI Co-Writer of the Year - "Chase Me" (Gilbert, Adams, Rives)
* 2011 TSAI Board of Director's Award
* 2012 Bluebird Cafe's ~ 30th Anniversary ~ Songwriting Contest Winner
* 2013 SD Country Music Hall of Fame ~ Album of the Year Award ~ Choices
2005 - "All I Ask of You" (CD Single) - C-Sharp Productions (BMI)
2008 - "Pickin' Life's Pocket" - Note Head Music (BMI)
2011 - "Bloom" - Note Head Music (BMI)
2013 - "Choices" - Note Head Music (BMI)