104 E State St, Media, PA, US
Capacity: 500 Age Limit: 16
Bio: Built in 1927 by Samuel Dembow as Media's third and largest movie theatre, it was designed by the firm of Magazine, Eberhard, and Harris. The interior was docorated in the English Renaissance style by Harris Brodsky. The theatre opened in August 1927 with a screening of "The Jazz Singer" starring Al Jolson, the 1st motion picture with sound. Admission was 25 cents. The theatre served for nearly 75 years as a movie palace displaying the magic of motion picture to generations of Media residents. It was also the site for vaudeville shows, Media High School graduations and community events. The building was acquired by Walter M. Strine who converted it into the Media Theatre for the Performing Arts in 1994 in honor of his wife, Elizabeth and her lifelong love of music.