Obi Kaye / Blog
Liner notes from "When the Dreamer Awakens..."
If you have the CD or have purchased/ downloaded some of the songs and would like the liner notes... Here they are:
* Spirit at the Crossroad: A simple Bata groove calling for introspection... Nothing fancy here, this rhythm is simply used to set the mood for the remainder of the CD. Bata, Shakers, Deff (Frame drum), Igogo
* Heaven’s Cry: I often wonder what the heavens must be thinking as they are watching down upon us... Deff (frame drum), Bata, Shakers, Finger cymbals.
* Itaji (Awakening): At some point we must all come to an awakening... The spirit calls out from within and nothing is ever the same. Bata, Conga, Bongo, Igogo, Chekere
* Congalingua: Congalingua is a traditional simple Guaguanco/ Yambu (Rumba). conga, chekere, clave
* Desire: Desire... It's such a natural thing to long for the touch of another. Two bodies in longing embrace, Skin against skin, lips against lips. To feel another's body, hear another's breath, Bodies twisting in passionate embrace... And yet, there is so much more. Deff, Clave, Shakers, Udu, Conga, Singing bowl, Bongo
* Music for a Chase Scene: Imagine if you will, My daughter (now 2 years old) with her large stuffed elephant (she calls him "Humpy") stuffed under one arm and dragging the floor, chasing the cat around the house for hours... Conga, Shakers, Igogo
* Dance, Istanbul: Written in dedication to the history of Istanbul, This song is for the wonderful and beautiful people from Turkey who have become my friends... Deff, Tupan, Riq, Shakers, Dombek,
* Iwaja (I will fight): Sometimes, we are left no choice... One can only "turn the other cheek" so often. When we are faced with many detractors we need to stand our ground. Iwaja says just that: I will tolerate no more bullying, I will accept no gossip. Do not throw stones from behind me anymore. I will stand up, I will face my enemies. Even if I cannot defeat you, even if the orisha (deities) will turn their backs to my plight, I will fight. I will stand with honor and I will not be afraid. Bata, Dundun (Talking drum), Shaker, Igogo
* More Important than God: The title alone may cost me a few friends but, please note that this song is "Music with a cause". Every day thousands of children are being beaten, tortured and some even killed all in the name of religious righteousness. These children are being labeled as witches or possessed because they have difficulty in school or learning disabilities or siezure disorders etc. The majority of these cases are occurring in Nigeria, Nepal, and other countries with widespread growth in "Mission Based" religions. I will be posting the appropriate information soon and when the song is released for sale, ALL proceeds will be forwarded to "Stepping Stones Nigeria" for the efforts to raise awareness and increase education. Let it be known around the world, No child should ever be touched by a stranger and no parent should ever be forced to choose between their child and God! Atsere, Frame Drum, Udu, Tambourine/ Kanjira, Wood Block, Conga, Iron Rooster Bell
All songs recorded “au naturale” at Go-rilla! Studios. No Sampling or sequencing was used.