You are using an outdated browser. Please upgrade your browser to improve your ReverbNation experience.
Starr Saunders is an award-winning singer/songwriter from Oakland, California. Her sound is not easily boxed into one specific genre. Her passion, vocal talent and poetic lyrics consistently captures listeners, the first time they hear her. Her music comes from a place of truth that speaks directly to life’s struggles and triumphs and ultimately finding oneself.
Today, She has a publishing deal with Five Alarm Music, two solo albums under her belt with a new LP in the works, and often collaborates with other in the hip-hop, rock and pop genres. She is also regularly sought out by well-known artists including Grammy Award Winner, Dave Merenda and chart-hitting producer, Richard (KIDD RICH) Harris to name a few.
Jerome Spence, Sr. Creative Director for Film & Television at peermusic says “Starr Saunders is outstanding. I met Starr at the West Coast Songwriters in 2012. I’ve seen her song-writing and artistry develop precipitously over the last couple of years. She is an artist whose talent shines through and is someone I very much look forward to working with in the near future.”
In late 2013, Starr released a new single called “Rocket Ship.” This song was born from a dream her father had and shared with Starr, three weeks before his passing from bone cancer. This song has compelled countless fans to share their own stories of love, loss, and hope. Starr has recently partnered with the American Cancer Society to raise awareness and funds for cancer treatment & research in honor of her father’s memory and to all those whose lives have been affected by cancer.
- November 2013, won Best Performance for her song, “The Heart Juggler.”
- October 2013, won Best Performance for her song, “Without You.”
- June 2013, won Best Song for her song "Rocket Ship" for the month of June West Coast Songwriters Song Competition.
- In 2012, nominated for best pop song "We're Not the Beautiful" co-written with Robert Lindsey and best singer/songwriter category for "Queen of the Friend Zone" co-written with Anthony Martinez - the first artist to ever be nominated for two different categories at the Malibu Music Awards.
Winner of Best Hip-Hop Song at the 2010 Malibu Music Awards for “I Still Love H.E.R.” with Hip-Hop artist, EXPEL.
MUSIC PLACEMENTS FOR FILM
- Starr’s original song “All You Can Do Is Love” was synched for the movie trailer in All the Wrong Reasons, a movie starring Corey Monteith, (2013).
- Another original song “Going Home” was recently placed in the movie trailer for an upcoming movie, Barefoot Starring Evan Rachel Wood, (2014).
A few years ago, Starr stopped writing and recording while she managed other artists careers. However, when the universe calls telling you this is not where you belong, it usually happens in a definitive and dramatic way. For Starr, this moment is what she describes as an "emotional exorcism;" something inside snapped; and from that moment on that she could not live another day without writing and playing music. Within days after this epiphany, a friend called asking her to collaborate with him. She responded affirmatively and ended up writing and singing the chorus for his song, “I Still Love H.E.R.” that went on to win "Best Hip-Hop Song" in 2010 at the Malibu Music Awards and today she is unstoppable!