PJ is a Bassist, writer & entrepreneur from Chicago’s West Side. PJ began playing bass guitar at the age of 8 years old. His cousin bought a bass guitar and a keyboard for his son to play. He did not take to it and passed it on to PJ. While PJ was practicing with his cousins, PJ realized that he could play by ear. This was the beginning of a beautiful thing for PJ.
While PJ was attending Hugh Manley High School in Chicago, he learned to read music and to go on and sharpen his bass playing skills. In his sophomore year PJ was selected to be a part of Manley’s Jazz band. From there PJ was selected to be the bass player for The Chicago All-City Jazz Band from 1984 to 1987. During this time PJ received numerous awards which include “The Outstanding Soloist Award” at the Midwest Jazz Festival and “Outstanding Musician of the Year” from All City Jazz Band of Chicago.
After High school PJ started playing professionally around the Chicago area and Gospel recording artist Rev. Jessy Dixon approached me and asked me to become the full-time bass player for him and his choir. It was Rev. Dixon, who taught PJ showmanship and how to be a professional musician. This position provided PJ with the opportunity to perform with the talents of Andre and Sandra Crouch, Kurt Carr and Abraham Laboriel.
Currently PJ working with his new project “PJ & Soul” and just finished a CD to be release in November 2013. PJ also is touring the USA and abroad with Rodney Sir Nose Trotter as Bass Player and Musical Director. When not touring PJ is doing clinics and studio sessions.
PJ's goal is to enjoy Life simply to have fun!
Highlights of Pennal’s Career
September 1, 2013 PJ is Playing Bass for Safe Have (Bluegrass Band from Chicago) opening up for Country Jam "Travis Tritt and "Chris Cagle"
August 2013 Musical Director for Parliament Funkadelic for Chaka Khan Show WolfLake Pavilion, Hammond IN August 9, 2013
April 2013 Musical Director for Parliament Funkadelic
Hired to be Full-time Bassist for The Largest Church in Chicao, IL- The House of Hope- http://www.houseofhope-chicago.org/
Formed New Gospel Instrumental Band- G.T.S.S ( Gifted, Talented, Skilled & Spirit Filled)
Formed New Blues- Funk Band- The Chicago Tribe
Record the first Instructional video on "Tone & Texture" for Eminence Speakers at Namm Show january/ 2013
Performed at Namm Show 2013 January 24- 27, 2013
Featured as Co Host once a month on The Gospel Community Hour Radio Show 1570am
Hired to be Music Director & Music Consultant for Wheaton Christian Center
Toured with PJ & Soul- www.reverbnation.com/pennalpjjohnson
Toured with Funktion -http://www.funktionmusic.com
Toured & recorded with Sean Chambers
* Playing Bass with Safe Haven
* Performed at Winter Namm show for Eminence, Wyn Guitars, ESP Power Cables & Aguilar amplifier
* Recorded Live CD with Dr. Charles G Hayes & The Warriors
* Recording Cissy Strut with Leo Nocentelli for PJ’s upcoming album
* Hired as House Bassist for Clubbin TV (www.clubbintv.com) with Dwayne Wiggins
* Touring USA with Lubriphonic
* Endorsed Celestial Effects
* Winter Namm Show Bass Bash featuring Pennal Johnson & Friends with Felix Da Kat Pollard
* Toured and recorded with Lubriphonic
* Toured and recorded with Lubriphonic
* Winter Namm Show appearance for Uncontained Sound Cabs and Performed as Bass solo artist at Bass Bash
* Chicago Gospel Fest with Dr Charles G. Hayes and Cosmopolitan Church of Prayer Choir
* Guitar Center Clinic/ Mini Concerts
* Signed endorsement deal with Dean Markley Strings
* Signed endorsement deal Uncontained Sound, and Bullet Cables
* Winter Namm Show 2009 with Lakland Guitars
* Bassist for Father Charles G. Hayes and The Cosmopolitan Church of Prayer Choir known as “The Warriors” recording “Chapter One” (CD released 4/08)
* Music Director for Bishop Simon Gordon & The Triedstone Combine Choirs recording “Fall On Me” (CD released 5/07)
* Bassist for Darius Brooks recording “My Soul” (CD released 4/ 06)
* Performed in the 17th Annual Chicago Gospel Fest.
* Invited to be the Musical Guest at The Full Gospel Baptist Church Conference held in Detroit
* Performed “Lord Help Me to Hold Out,” and “I Didn’t Mean to Fall in Love during the 16th Annual Stellar Awards Announcers Dinner & ASCAP luncheon. Both included on the Spiritual Rhythms Volume 2 compilations CD. (CD released 2/01 – Advance Records)
* Shared Company with Eric Benet while performed during a fundraiser benefiting early childhood development residents
* Toured Delhi, India as a member of the 3-piece jazz band Tyris & Company.
Bass "The Gig Is On" Lubriphonic
Dr. Charles G. Hayes Bishop Simon Gordon Darius Brooks
Chapter One (2008) Fall On Me (2007) My Soul (2006)
Bass Guitar (Bass) Bass, Mixing, Mastering
Felton Offard Calvin Bridges Various Artists
Rise (2004) Praiseology 1 (2003) Spiritual Rhythms, Vol. 2 (2001)
Min. Cedric Ford Jessy Dixon Chicago Community Choir
Featuring Visions: A Choral Ministry (2000) He’s Able Rev. Jessy Dixon Presents (1993)
Bass Bass Bass
Reverend C.L. Fairchild Rev. Timothy Wright Jessy Dixon
Well Worth It (1992) I’m Glad About It (1991) I Know What Prayer Can Do (1991)