You are using an outdated browser. Please upgrade your browser to improve your ReverbNation experience.
Hurricane Ruth is The Ultimate Blues Rock Experience!
Hurricane Ruth originates from central/southern Illinois, packing venues throughout the region. Critics and fans hail their shows as powerful, raw, emotional and dynamic. The band’s contagious energy is evident in their live shows. The center of this energy is Hurricane Ruth herself. Ruth is a captivating performer, who will grab your attention from note one and never let you go! Willie Dixon once told Ruth “You’re the only hurricane I can appreciate”.
Hurricane Ruth LaMaster started performing professionally in 1979. She acquired the name Hurricane Ruth from the fact that no one believed that such a large sound could come out of such a small woman! Ruth has performed with Maynard Ferguson and his orchestra, Adrian Belew, and Louis Belson. Ruth has opened for John Lee Hooker, B.B. King, Willie Dixon, Taj Mahal, Ramsey Lewis Trio, Sam & Dave, Fenton Robinson, and most recently; Kenny Wayne Shepherd, Royal Southern Brotherhood, and Ronnie Baker Brooks. Ruth’s vocals are deeply rooted in traditional blues, but make no mistake, she can rock the house! Ruth has opened for renowned rockers: Heart, Judas Priest, Joan Jett and The Blackhearts & Steppenwolf, just to name a few. Ruth is the total vocal package! Ruth is joined by: David Lumsden (lead guitar), Gary Davis (bass guitar), and Jim Engel (drums). These three excellent musicians perfectly complement Ruth’s vocals.
Born on the River, Hurricane Ruth’s 2nd album is an eclectic group of eleven original songs that was released in September 2014. Born on the River is intense and heavy with the same energy as a live Hurricane Ruth performance. It is receiving national and international acclaim, and was nominated for the IBC Best Self-Produced CD 2015. Born on the River has consistently ranked on The Roots Music Report, as well as many other national and international charts.
Their 1st album, The Power of the Blues…Feels like a Hurricane, was released in 2012.
They were a 2012 International Blues Challenge participant.
• 4 songs on the 2014 TOP 100 of The Roots Music Report – Electric Blues Song Chart
• #7 on the 2014 TOP 100 of The Roots Music Report – Blues Rock Album Chart
• Born on the River was #42 on Roy Prescott’s (Host Morning Drive Host 93.5 WMWV-FM) - Blues Summit Top 50 Best of the Blues for 2014
• Blues in the Northwest - 2014 Pick of the Year
• Born on the River was #62 on WMHB’s Top 100 Blues Chart for 2014 - Waterville ME
• Born on the River was picked as one of “Blues Doc’s” Top 50 Blues Albums for 2014 – WNRB 93.3 (Madison, Wi.)
• Born on the River was nominated for 2015 IBC Best Self-Produced CD
• Born on the River has been on the Blues Power Top 30 Chart (Gil Anthony – Dothan, AL), for the 6 months since its release
• Power of the Blues…Feels Like a Hurricane was nominated for 2013 IBC Best Self-Produced CD
• Power of the Blues…Feels Like a Hurricane finished in the top 10 of Germany’s Wasser-Prawda magazine’s “Reader’s Poll for Best Blues Rock CD” of 2012
• Power of the Blues…Feels like a Hurricane placed 11th on WEFT’s (Champaign, IL) Top 50 Blues CDs for 2012 (ranked by number of spins
Ain’t Nothin’ but the Blues
Beardstown Fall Fun Festival
Champaign Blues, Brews & BBQs
Chatham Sweetcorn Festival
Hot August Blues Festival
Illinois Blues Festival
Merchant Street Music Festival
Old Capitol Blues & BBQ
Reds, Whites and Blues Festival
Roadhouse Blues Festival
Rollin’ on the River Blues Festival
Round Barn Blues
Smokin’ Blues & BBQ’s
Taste of Downtown
UCP Music Festival