Matt Tate is a Chicago-based Chapman Stick artist, Guitarist, Composer and Instructor. For the last 10yrs he has been dedicated to mastering the Chapman Stick and performing Solo and in bands. Currently, he is composing music for a Solo Stick record (M@T8) to be released this Fall, launching a new website, touring, and working on multiple recording/performing collaborations (metal-math-prog-experimental). His current musical leanings are in the vein of the technical-death-shred of Blotted Science to the rhythmic madness of Frank Zappa, the interlocking poly-rhythmic spiderwebs of King Crimson and the stark, overwhelming beauty of Arvo Part.
He has played in:
- Destroyer Or Liberator (relentlessly pulsating, destructively harmonious, melodically chaotic, and always cut with blistering humor, wit, and spontaneity) Debut album, “Incoming!” released in January 2013. (www.DestroyerOrLiberator.bandcamp.com)
- DjM Trio (“Jungle-Bop!!” If Mulatu Astatke, Squarepusher, Fela Kuti, King Crimson, Charlie Hunter, Lee “Scratch” Perry, Postal Service, Miles and Coltrane played the soundtrack for The French Connection in 2015) Debut album “The Intrigue” released in Fall 2010. The followup album will be posthumously released later this Summer/Fall. (www.DjMTrio.com)
- The Odd Trio (King Crimson meets Mr. Bungle meets Sleepytime Gorilla Museum meets the World’s ethnic musics).
- Currently composing for debut Solo Album "M@T8".
- Matt Tate is a member of Overtōn Amps "Artist Roster!" Playing the Featherweight 500 Bass Amp (x2) and OBN-410 + OBN-210 Bass Cabinets. (www.OvertonAmps.com)