You are using an outdated browser. Please upgrade your browser to improve your experience.
CREATED Nov. 20, 2012
Things that seem to describe me and what I do:
* "UPLIFTING" LYRICS
* SONGS THAT COME FROM THE HEART
...AND SPEAK TO THE SPIRIT
* TAPESTRY OF SOUND, BLENDING PASSIONATE
SPOKEN WORD POETIC PERFORMANCE WITH
HYPNOTIC, COMPELLING, SOULFUL MUSIC
* "WORLD-MUSIC" BLENDED "SOULFUL FOLK"
* VISIONARY "SOUND HEALER" BY CALLING
For further details on each of these... See Below...
* "Uplifting" lyrics...often with the imagery of Eagles...being one...rising above the "clouds" that block our view of where we want to be...and the "place" way "up there" (in "the skies of our spirit") where we feel most free to be who we are...deep down...in our "heart of hearts" where we "just know" that we are born for something "higher" than where we tend to live...and what we often settle for.
*Songs that come from the heart...and tend to speak directly to the spirit of the listener, and often has a refreshing,"uplifting" effect. This seems to be a trademark, of sorts, of what I do. I tend to not have much
patience for music that's not about the heart. But as soon as I hear the "soul" of the song, I know it's some-
thing that will "lift" me--whether it is something that is musically ideal for my taste or not.
*Being a passionate "spoken word" poetic performer, much of my role seems to be that of a story-teller whether in song or "just words". However, although I do enjoy performing with "naked" words, more often than not, I tend to blend the two--music and spoken words--and constantly reach for new and interesting ways to create a "tapestry" of sound that hopefully carries the message more directly to the heart than if it were merely words. Maybe because of my usually lilting, lyrical style, and the deeply playful undercurrent throughout much of my grand and sublime themes (You know...Love, peace and Joy--all the good stuff!), I've often been described as a "spiritual Dr. Suess". Also more than once, I've felt very honored when some have graciously compared this precarious blend of my "playfully profound" style as reminiscent of the 13th century classic poet and Sufi master, Jalal ad-Din Muhammad RUMI. Whatever you may make of any of the poetic works, hopefully you will feel for yourself why some have used such kind words.
*I am a singer-songwriter performing musician who tends to get labeled "soulful folk". ..but I feel my reach is much further. My focus and strength seem to be the heart-clarifying lyrics, soulful vocals, acoustic guitar, hand drums, and a few off-the-"beaten"-path instruments. My comparisons to John Denver, Enya, Loreena McKennitt, Deval Premal and Miten, and Beth Neilsen Chapman are only meant to express certain aspects of the "soul" of my music, and I probably don't actually sound like any one of them. I've been told fairly often that I had a certain similarity to Elvis Presley (at least his softer, Love Me Tender side), or a smoother Leanord Cohen. All I know is... I am "me", and I'm here to "beam" this with all I have...to bring to each recording and performance.
* The extremely "peacefully passionate" performances I do are from the "spoken word" poetic works from my seven published volumes. (See Amazon Kindle) I love to mix blends of hypnotic and otherwise captivating music with poetic "spoken word"... to make it even more condusive to letting much of the depth of the words "reach" people at the heart and soul level.
* I am also a "sound healer", so I work with tuning forks, singing bowls, soulful vocals, gem stones and much more... to create a deeply "healing", rejuvanating effect for recipients of my "energy work". Sometimes I find ways to "embed" in my music the most soothing tones as part of the "uplifting" effect I seek to create for my listeners.
* * *
As you can see, it's not easy to define what I do, and even more so how I do it. But I hope these glimpses help you to get a feel for what I'm about...and how I may bring something to you that is truly unique...and "uplifting"!