I wrote my first song when I was eighteen years old. I had been listening to Robert Johnson a lot, and decided to write a blues song. It was called "Society's Blues," and thinking back on it I can safely say it was awful. It didn't matter though. At the time it was good, and it was enough to get me interested in songwriting. Soon after I heard that song I started listening to Bob Dylan and my songwriting really started to grow after that.
The years that have followed have seen me grow as an artist. I have discovered new music - Leonard Cohen, Ben Folds, Willie Nelson, Johnny Cash, Dan Bern, Bonnie Prince Billy, The Mountain Goats, to name a few - and I've had a lot of people encouraging me along the way, and I've had a lot of great musicians who I've worked with and played with who have helped to cultivate me as an artist. I continue to grow even now and push myself to be as good as I can be at this.
So that sums up my bio as an artist. My bio as a person goes like this:
01. Born and raised in SW Missouri.
02. Childhood leukemia survivor
03. Graduate of Missouri Southern State University (2004) in
04. Attending law school starting this fall (2011) in Charlotte, North
05. Does art in addition to songwriting
06. Enjoys cooking
07. Favorite movie is The Sting
08. Favorite book is The Book of Daniel by E.L. Doctorow
09. Has a gray cat named Echo
10. Favorite food is Indian