A Canadian of Brazilian descent, Rubim combines the influences of his cultural heritage, his passion for Cuban music, and his dedication to the jazz tradition to create a refreshing sound and to bring a rhythmic and conceptual depth to his bass playing. This keeps him a highly in- demand sideman for projects in any style and has also allowed him to nurture a fertile career as a bandleader.
With his latest release “The River” bassist and composer Rubim de Toledo distinguishes himself as a writer with a the unique ability to cross genres while maintaining a sound that is modern yet pays respect to tradition. His bass playing demonstrates the maturity of his approach and validates his reputation as a key musician in the Western Canadian music industry.
Rubim has recorded three solo CDs to date: “Charcoal and Crimson”, a Nu-Jazz experiment; “Seu Swing”, a World-Jazz venture; and his latest release, "The River"
The River is garnering great critical and popular acclaim including a Western Canadian Music Award nomination for “Best Jazz Album” of 2009. The opening track has also been slected as CBC Radio's Tonic theme song.
Rubim is well known as bassist and a founding member of respected Latin-Jazz group Bomba and is currently performing with Latin-Jazz group Caravan. With Bomba, he has recorded four CDs and has toured extensively in Canada, the US, Europe, Asia and South America. Caravan, working as a Bomba alias, continues this legacy.
In the last six years Rubim has been working extensively with Calgary’s Decidedly Jazz Danceworks. He has played bass for 9 productions and has acted as composer and musical director for 6 of those. Also, Rubim is the bass instructor, teaches Jazz Improvisation and teaches Jazz Combo classes in the Mount Royal University Credit Music Department.
Selected Performances (2011)
• 2011 Oct - Rubim de Toledo Brazilian-Jazz Project @ Brazilfest
• 2011 Oct - w Pj Perry (Edmonton)
• 2011 Oct - Rubim de Toleo Octet live at Cantos
• 2011 Oct - w Senator Tommy Banks - UofC Jazz Series
• 2011 Sept – Directed Birth of the Cool tribute at Yardbird Suite
• 2011 August – Sylvan Lake Jazz Festival
• 2011 July – City of Calgary Canada Day Festival Mainstage
• 2011 June – Medicine Hat Jazz Festival
• 2011 May – Directed Bitches Brew tribute at Yardbird Suite
• 2011 May – Headlined at Jazz nos Fundos. Sao Paulo, Brazil
• 2011 April - Bomba at Beat Niq
• 2011 April - Bomba at Arden Theatre (St. Albert)
• 2011 April - Origins Ensemble at Yardbird (Edm)
• 2011 Mar - w/ Decidedly Jazz Danceworks. Musical director for 'Wilds' @ the Grand
• 2011 Mar - reClaim collective @ Beat Niq
• 2011 Feb - w Ross Taggart (Jazz is Society)