You are using an outdated browser. Please upgrade your browser to improve your experience.
Formed in late 2010, Tweed Funk has garnered national and international acclaim for their horn-driven, sweat-soaked, soul-blues. This Milwaukee, Wisconsin band is fronted by Joseph “Smokey” Holman, who recorded under Curtis Mayfield in the early 70’s. Tweed Funk boasts 4 Wisconsin Area Music Industry (WAMI) Wins in the last 3 years. The band's latest album, First Name Lucky, debuted at #10 on the Roots Music Report Top 50 Blues Album Chart 4/11/14) and at #11 on the Living Blues Chart (April 2014).
Tweed Funk has appeared at some of the top festivals and blues rooms in the Midwest including: Chicago Blues Festival, Marquette Area Blues Festival, Byron Crossroads Blues Festival, Paramount Blues Festival, Prairie Dog Blues Festival, Buddy Guy’s Legends, Slippery Noodle Inn, House of Blues – Chicago, Jazz in the Park, Summerfest, and many more. Tweed Funk played 30 festivals, concerts, and club gigs in Illinois, Michigan, Minnesota, and Wisconsin in the summer of 2013 and received excellent reviews and praise from festival bookers and the press.
- 2014 WAMI Winner Brass/Reeds Player of the Year - Kevin Klemme
- 2013 Big City Rhythm & Blues Magazine’s Coolest Blues Song of the Year for Dancemaker
- Feature Articles in national magazines: American Blues Scene, Dartmouth Alumni Magazine, and Big City Rhythm & Blues Magazine
- 2013 WAMI Winner Male Vocalist of the Year Joseph “Smokey” Holman
- 2013 WAMI Winner Bass Player of the Year Eric Madunic
- 2012 WAMI R&B/Soul Artist of the Year
- Love Is CD selected to represent Grafton Blues Association in 2013 IBC Best Self-Produced CD
- Competed in the 2012 International Blues Challenge in Memphis, TN
- Chicago Blues Guide Hot Pick of the Week (12 times)
Sophomore CD – Love Is
- Reaches #16 on Roots Music Report Top 50 Blues Albums Chart and spends 5 months on the Chart
- #1 Blues Album for 2012 on KZSU Stanford
- #1 on the Roots Music Report State of Wisconsin Chart for 5 months
- #31 on WEFT Top Blues Albums for 2012
- #47 on Smokestack Lightning Radios Top 100 Blues Songs for 2012
Debut CD – Bringin It
- 18 Weeks on Roots Music Report Blues Internet Chart reaching #5
- 59 Straight Weeks on RMR Wisconsin State Chart including 13 weeks at #1
- #1 Blues Airplay Album on KZSU Stanford Radio for April 2011
- TV Appearances on WGN, Fox-6, and CBS-58