From the heartland of California, these four life-long friends and band mates bring their combined passion for music to the stage and studio. With their powerful combination of toe tapping acoustics and smooth, spellbinding harmonies, they artfully weave their view of life’s experiences into witty and meaningful lyrical journeys. Poor Man’s Poison discovered early on that just being themselves is best. The result is pure, honest music impossible to forget.
Poor Man's Poison headed to Nashville this January for the finals of the Texaco Country Showdown where they competed with the four other Regional Winners on a Nationally syndicated television special for $100,000 and the coveted title, “Best New Act in Country Music and THEY WON. Each year more than 50,000 artists compete throughout the U.S. Past winners include: Martina McBride, Garth Brooks, Miranda Lambert, Neal McCoy, Sara Evans, Brad Paisley and Billy Ray Cyrus.
Poor Man's Poison's music is far from traditional country. The band writes and performs all their own acoustic songs on bluegrass instruments, and their music is influenced by rock, folk and reggae. Showdown judge Les Engle said the band's unique music influenced the judges' decision. Their music 'didn't fit the cookie-cutter country western" style, Engle said. 'These guys, you could tell they didn't emulate anyone. They wrote their own material; they played it; they believed it."
Poor Man’s Poison recently returned from Guantanamo Bay Cuba, where they performed for our US Troops. Additionally, they have had the honor of performing at celebrity events for The Sundance Film Festival, The Academy Awards and The MTV Music Awards. They also made history earlier this year, becoming the first local band to sell out the historic Hanford Fox Theater for a live performance in 12 days. 2013 continues to look promising for the four, they are booked to headline music festivals of all assortment this summer, they will also return to Guantanamo Bay Cuba to perform for the troops, hit the UK for thier first out of Country tour, and this summer they are scheduled to share the stage with artist such as Darius Rucker, Jerrodd Niemann, Chris Janson & Charlie Worsham.
A few highlights from the past year:
* Performed at the 2012 Sundance Film Festival and have been invited back for next year.
* Nominated for "best folk/acoustic artist" for 2012 Artists in Music Awards
• Opened for Lukas Nelson and Promise of the Real at The Wien Family Winery
• Performed at the famed Whiskey A Go Go in Los Angeles
• Opened for The Brothers Comatose at the Blue Sky Fest, in Mammoth Lakes, CA
• Opened for The Derailers at The Historic Hanford Fox Theater
• Performed at Springtini Fest with more than 5,000 people in attendance
• Performed at the Hanford Farmer’s Market to crowds of over 4,000
• Headlined The Cellar Door in Visalia, California and opened for such groups as Langhorne Slim and The Devil Makes Three
• Performed at Political Fundraiser for California Gubernatorial Candidate Meg Whitman
• Performed at Audie’s Olympic Tavern in Fresno, California opening for such groups as Jason Isbell and the 400 Unit, Bob Wayne and the Outlaw Carnies, Frankenstein 59, and Spindrift
• Performed at SLO Brew in san Luis Obispo, California with Joe Koening and Lucas Ohio