You are using an outdated browser. Please upgrade your browser to improve your ReverbNation experience.
The Cranks - WINNERS OF THE 2014 RADAR award from the New England Music Awards and Pavoh for under 21 acts "on the rise" among 200 submissions throughout New England.
The Cranks' "Orange" - ALBUM OF THE YEAR runner up by Limelight Magazine Music Awards - 3/2014.
The Cranks opened the show on the Magic Hat stage for the Paramore/Falloutboy/New Politics stop on the Monumentour at Bank of NH Meadowbrook Pavillion in Gilford NH June 30!
In 2013 The Cranks released their 3rd CD "ORANGE", and were featured on COZI TV's "The Next Great Family Band" as one of 15 bands across the country picked to be the next sibling band like Oasis, Kings of Leon.
Performing live since 2006 The Cranks are twins Connor and Haley Gowland and Alex Markoski and have over 300 performances to their collective credit, multiple battle victories, 2 CD’s, over 1600 followers on Facebook. They stand apart from the typical young “boys and their guitars” bands with Haley’s distinctive vocals (often related to Chrissie Hynde, Belinda Carlisle and Deborah Harry) leading the way for the band’s remarkably mature melodic and dynamic songwriting prowess. On stage they are energetic and upbeat and excite crowds of all ages, genuinely positive and always convey a sense of humor and fun - they rock, but aren’t angry about it.
The Cranks spent their younger years as a cover band, and in 2009, as middle schoolers, recast themselves as an all-original 3-piece, winning their first battle (of high school bands). It was clear they had a seed of something different to offer.
In May, 2011, The Cranks released their second CD; "Downside Up", an energetic batch of one-of-a-kind lyric themes and stick-in-your-head melodies that has been played on Boston’s WXRV 92.5 as well as several college radio stations.
Their Sound – 100% authentic
The Cranks write, record and perform upbeat alternative rock with guitar, bass, drums and big vocals influenced by Kings of Leon, The Hush Sound, Paramore, Sublime with Rome. The Cranks’ songwriting and lyric themes are what you would expect from veterans. They don’t hide behind Autotune and synthesizers but instead deliver a pure and organic sound built from actual voices and real instruments. The Cranks’ sound is reminiscent of proficient rockers like the Pretenders with the modern dynamics of Guster and the power of The Strokes and Weezer.
"...rattling off catchy and intelligent punk-influenced pop songs like afterthoughts. The Cranks have a real future. Downside Up is the proof." Wildy's World Blog 4 of 5 stars
“The Cranks not only display good taste in their musical inspiration but have the chops to make things happen for themselves… Haley's lead vocals sound as good, if not better, than singer's twice her age …”– Metronome Magazine 9/2010
“Haley is a triple threat of great vocals, song writing and guitar playing.” - Joyce Kulhawik (arts & entertainment anchor for Boston’s WBZ-TV News) 3/2010
- Feb 2014 - CD "Orange" nominated for Album of the Year by New England's Limelight Magazine
- Jan 2014 - Winner of New England Music Awards' "RADAR" award for rising artists under 21 in New England
- Winter 2013 - Selected as one of 15 bands for the national show "The Next Great Family Band"
- May 2012 Winner Westford Apple Blossom Festival battle of bands
- Mar 2012 - Winner Berklee College of Music Battle of HS Bands round 1 - (1 of 4 finalists from all New England)
- Feb 2012 -TCAN Berklee Showcase Semi-Finalist
- Feb 2012 - Music On & UP Hard Rock Showcase Finalist
- Sept 2011 -Winner of Music On & UP Hard rock Showcase "Greatest Potential" artist award
- Sept 2011 - 2nd of 10 bands @Harvard (MA) Fall Festival Battle
- Sept 2011 - Winner "Artist with Greatest Potential" Award & Finalist at Boston Hard Rock's Music on & Up Showcase
- Mar 2011 - Winner of Prelims - Finalist in TCAN/Berklee Showcase of High School bands (among 4 out of 50 submissions)
- Apr 2011 Haley - winner of Berklee College of Music Summer Program Scholarship
- Mar 2011 - WINNER of Groton-Dunstable HS Battle of Bands
- June 2010 - 2nd Place Merrimack, NH Rockin Ribfest Teen Band Competition
- Apr 2010 - Selected to play in Berklee School of Music Battle of High School bands
- Apr 2010- 2nd Place GDHS battle of bands
- Feb 2010: Selected and performed on Community Auditions Star of the Day, taking 2nd place
- May 2009: Winner of Indian Hill Battle of (9) High School Bands
- August 2009: 3rd Place in Milly’s Tavern (Manchester, NH) finals of 9 week battle of youth bands
- June 2009: 2nd Place Tynsgboro Bicentennial Summerfest Battle of Bands
- June 2007: 1st Place Dunstable Summerfest Battle of Bands
The Cranks are gearing up for an extremely busy spring and summer tour of festivals, battles and club shows.
Beyond The Cranks
Alex and Haley each perform as soloists at the Nashoba Valley Ski Area’s summer Sunset Tiki bar and various local restaraunts.
The Cranks are from Dunstable and Westford, MA.